Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>So like, guys, I think I have whooping cough. Some of my son's little friends got it and we all came down with a "cold" like a week later. Three weeks later, we still have the cold, but with insane coughing fits that never end and leave me breathless.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My son has it pretty mildly, likely because he was vaccinated. He has a cough but it doesn't seem that bad. I haven't had any boosters. I got MMR again at the hospital after I gave birth, but not Dtap. My brother lives with us and is studying to be a paramedic and was re-vaccinated for everything in September. It was so curious that he didn't get our "cold"--not even a sniffle. But now it makes sense.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm just self-diagnosing right now so I could be wrong, or course. I don't really have time to go to the doctor for another week or so. I guess I'll find out at some point.</p>

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Oh no. Hope you feel better soon whatever the diagnosis. Glad to hear your son is not too bad and your brother totally fine.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
<p>It's not for sure at all. I caught a vicious cold in July (28) that lasted until September 15. Nobody else caught it and I was in close contact with my kids (even on  a 12 plane ride - I caught the cold the last days before my scheduled ride back). It started with hoarseness and loss of voice, so I guessed laryngitis. Then back in the US it progressed to neverending coughing spells that lasted a good 3 weeks (intense, little sleep at night). And then it tapered off and left me somewhat week for the rest of the time til it finally was over. The kids didn't get it (note: they have DTaPs, but not all of them yet). Hubbie didn't get it. MIL caught it straight away (she didn't want to miss work and talked her urgent care provider into Zithromax which cleared her within 3 days to feel better, which makes me guess it very probably was bacterial). I have no idea what it was. In the meantime (late August) the kids caught some fever (103-104), the NP said red throat let's do a swab for strep which was negative. After 3 days of fever they had a rash so I guessed roseola. On day 5 when all symptoms were gone the lab confirmed strep but since they were symptom free the doc's office said no bother with antibiotics. Weird how things go sometimes.</p>
<p>I guess my point is feel better first. :) And then get tested. I wish I had tested kind of so I would have found out what it was. I felt really sick but had no time to bother with doctors (flight back, then a 1300 mile drive to our new home, dealing with movers, unpacking). And then the strep thing - it was so weird! I wish my doc sis was there cause she always insists on cultures.</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts