Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>We are getting a new puppy at the end of this month.  I had a dog a long time ago, and think that pet insurance would have been a big help -- he was quite accident prone.  I've looked into a few providers, but can't tell if it's worth paying the premiums or not.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Would appreciate any insights, including policies to check out.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>TIA!</p>

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
<p>Yes, it is worth it.  What we recommend is for pups who are to young generally to be inflicted with diseases such as an endocrine disorder we have them sign up for one that covers accidents (hit by car, lacerations etc) then a few years later switch to a more comprehensive plan to take care of the bigger issues they can develop</p>

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
<p>We've never had pet insurance for our animals & we've had them for 13 years.  We've never had any major issues come up.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My brother, otoh, has had thier dogs for 3 years & have had to use it alot for their older one.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>They have purebreds, we don't.</p>

·
Premium Member
31,346 Posts
<p>not worth it to me, first off all the ones I looked into require you to follow their vax schedule, which I won't do.</p>

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
<p>Depends on the breed.  I would get it for the more sickly breeds like bulldogs. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Interesting point about the vaxes above, although most towns and hotels and campgrounds require rabies at a minimum anyways.  Boarding places require the kennel cough vax, if you ever plan on boarding.</p>

·
Registered
491 Posts
<p>I had it for a while , but I now feel , I would have been better off , putting a little money away every month , in case something happens . There were a few times , we went to the vet and then filed a claim and they were always like "we can´t pay for this , because of this reason or that for that reason" , so , no , and if you have a dog with a pre-existing condition , they won´t pay for it anyway .</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<p>Thanks, everyone.  When I took puppy to our new vet, I asked him his opinion.  He said that in some high COL areas it might make sense since the cost of vet care is higher.  Where we live he said that he rarely had any clients who opted for insurance make their premiums & deductions.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I guess it's just one of those gambles, but I'm leaning towards what tonttu mentioned and that's to just keep some money set aside just in case.  Since the money I set aside will go towards whatever puppy needs, without restrictions, it's probably better for us long term.</p>
<p> </p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts