Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not travelled with my dog yet since having my daughter. I have a Subaru Outback. Where do I get those cage things to keep puppers (and groceries) safely in the back? I am finding pressure mounted ones online, but I am not sure how safe that is? I think one that is actually mounted to the car would be safer?

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I'm not sure they have ones that actually mount, I've only seen pressure mounted ones. Do you have enough room in the backseat to use a doggy seatbelt type thing?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Use a doggy seatbelt. The rear of your car where you would put groceries is probably a crumple zone--not a safe place for your dog to be in case of a rear-end accident.

·
Registered
272 Posts
we got ours at our pet store--they installed it for me and helped me to get the extra piece i needed too! it is pressure mounted and quite sturdy (not a net, but a gate), but I seem to remember from when we were car shopping that subaru has one specifically for the outback that might be more what you are looking for. maybe check the web site or give a call to your dealer.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think I will try the doggy seatbelt. I don't know if she can control her licking enough to sit next to dd, though, LOL!

·
Banned
5,868 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gwynthfair View Post
On our Christmas trip DP drove, our dog was belted in the front passenger seat and I was in the back with DD. I'm sure we looked kind of silly!

Get a doggy seatbelt. When we went to have our carseat installed with my DS when he was a newborn, our Chloe-pup (RIP
had a seatbelt and the techs were THRILLED! (they had recently had a police dog die in an accident
)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Just from a safety point of view, it's safer for your dog to be crated while in the car. Seatbelts are great, but in the event of an accident, a kennel is tons safer. My dogs love their crates! If we even look at them, in or out of the car, the dogs go nuts. I often have to crate them long before I'm ready to leave just so they will calm down.

·
Registered
753 Posts
What size is your dog? I have a doggy seatbelt *I think size med* that i only used once.. I'd be willing to sell it cheap since its just sitting here! LMK!

ETA: the one i have the harness fastens to the seat belt..it seems really safe! but we just never do anywhere in the car anymore

·
Registered
919 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miasmamma View Post
Just from a safety point of view, it's safer for your dog to be crated while in the car. Seatbelts are great, but in the event of an accident, a kennel is tons safer. My dogs love their crates! If we even look at them, in or out of the car, the dogs go nuts. I often have to crate them long before I'm ready to leave just so they will calm down.
Interesting... I've heard the opposite. I've heard that seatbelts are safer because, in the event of an accident, dog still moves around inside kennel (picture braking suddenly and the dog continuing to move and hitting the back kennel wall) and the kennel can still be a projectile that can injure the humans in the car. We have the ruffrider seatbelt that a pp provided a link for. Works very well and Jake gets uber excited when you pull the seatbelt out cause it means we are going on a T-R-I-P. (Can't say that word out loud.. must spell it)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
My boys have ruff rider roadies too. They are wonderfull. Crates can break in an accident and most dog seatbelts are not designed to withstand the force of a crash (they rely on plastic buckles or metal D-rings that can not withstand that much force).

·
Registered
151 Posts
We have a pressure mounted one... I agree with the opinion that it's a piece of cr#@. When the dog wasn't in the back and I was hauling groceries and stuff, braking quickly caused everything to hit the gate and it fell down! We have to keep tightening it, but it doesn't seem to matter, a little pressure and it falls down. I don't even want to think about what would happen if our 86-lb dog was thrown against it in an accident. Useless.

The seatbelt didn't work with him either, he freaked out and chewed himself free. But other dogs have luck with it.

Quote:
have the dog sit up front with you?
The front seat is definitely the worst place for a pet. In the case of an accident they will either get thrown through the front window or killed by the airbag.

Most people I know go with crating being the safest way to restrain your dog, but a harness (a good one - there are some that aren't made very well) is pretty safe as well.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by livinzoo View Post
My boys have ruff rider roadies too. They are wonderfull. Crates can break in an accident and most dog seatbelts are not designed to withstand the force of a crash (they rely on plastic buckles or metal D-rings that can not withstand that much force).
DH bought a harness last night at the pet store and the thing looks very cheap. I'm going to have him take it back and I'm going to order the Ruff Rider.
In the past, Isis has travelled in a crate in the cargo area, but I never felt totally safe with that. Now that I have a dd to protect, I want to make sure she is safe in the car more than anything. Obviously, I love my dog and wouldn't want anything to happen to her, either. Isis will probably be totally happy to sit in the back seat in a harness, I'll just install her on one outboard side and the carseat on the other so she can't lick dd to death! And again, thanks for all your help!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know it's not an option for many people but I have bolted my crates into the floor of our van, they've been bolted down with a piece of sheet metal to make the bottom stronger the same way a bench seat gets bolted down.

And yes, NEVER in the front seat--a lot of insurance companies will actually refuse coverage if a dog was in the front seat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.