Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,419 Posts
A small dog can be paper-trained. If you adopt an older chihuahua or miniature poodle from rescue, you might find one that's just as neurotic and crazy as a cat.
Dog dander is allergenic, of course, but it's not nearly as tenacious or sticky as the feline fel d 1 protein, which can last for over a year. Dog dander is much easier to clean up/filter.

I react to pretty much all critters with hair or feathers. I can't last more than a few minutes in a house with cats (require loads of meds, caffeine, and an open window). And some folks are allergic to pot-bellied pigs. Explore a bit, though. You may find something which works for you.

· Registered
3,419 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CallMeMommy View Post
We were thinking of a dog, I would actually love a dog, but again comes in the angle of both of us working full-time. Even if we could paper-train a small dog, which wouldn't be so bad, wouldn't s/he get depressed being alone for such a long time? I've always heard dogs (for the most part) are more social and are therefore more prone to depression if they're left alone a lot.
It depends on the dog. You could always opt for *two* older dogs who can keep each other company. A good rescue will work with you and figure out which dogs meet your needs (and vice versa).

Our dog was placed with us because we're always home. Hubby works from home, I don't work. We have a dog with separation anxiety issues who needs near constant human companionship. He can be crated, but he spends most of his time cuddled up with one of us. Not all dogs are so needy. The dogs we had when I was growing up were fine with being left for the day. All food/garbage was kept put away, of course, and there were rare accidents, but the dogs were pretty content.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.