Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 5'1", and all the maternity shirts I remembered from last time hung down to my knees. Tummy panels were long enough to cover my breasts as well.

Is there anything out there for little short people?

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
I'm not petite, but one of my best friends is. She really liked Gap and Lands End for petite lengths in dresses and pants. I don't think she ever found petite tops, although -- if you just keep drying Motherhood's cotton shirts they eventually shrink up. i have some that don't even cover my belly panel.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Babystyle has some cute clothes for petite (and even extra petite) mamas.
I know Gap and Old Navy have XS sizes as well.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Oh, did you mean you were a size 0, 2, 4 pre-pregnancy or just that you were under 5' 5" and wanted some clothes that fit lengthwise? Maybe I misunderstood.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I had that problem! I was a pre-preg 2-4 and a whopping 5 ft tall. I went to Target and bought black maternity stretch pants and large shirts. A nice dressy shirt and those pants paired with a good pair of shoes and I was even ready for work. I also bought a bunch of large sized oxford shirts which came in handy for nursing. I didn't spend a ton of money because I started being maternity clothes about the 4th month and grew exponentially from there.

Petite women tend to have it rough in this department. We tend to grow out in the belly. My best advice is not to buy anything expensive. But that goes for anyone shopping for maternity wear.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I think I got petite (meaning short) prego pants in the jc penny catalog with my first ds. And they didn't drag at my heels and fit exactly where they should have with my waist. They were jeans.

I looked at the current catalog and bleh. I wouldn't wear those styles if you paid me. I guess I'm not too hip.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
My petite friends tell me that they have it easy. They just buy larger sized non-maternity clothes.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I'm not petite just short......5 foot even....

I can't really wear maternity jeans at all.....too long. Gap has maternity pants in lengths though.

Target brand maternity shirts are shorter because that is the style. So, they look good on us shorter gals.

My biggest problem is pants.....Kohls has really good prices and nice pants in lengths too.

Good luck finding some!

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am 5'1 and right now am a size 4. My main problem is finding stuff that fits lenghtwise. Not pg yet, but last time I only gained weight in the belly so if I bought large non-maternity stuff I just looked like a slob who was very overweight but not pg! Of course, last time I started at a size 12; who knows how much weight I will gain this time?

I also have a very short torso, which is why most shirts are too long on me. With regular jeans I buy slim-fit and then have them hemmed; with maternity jeans I think that would mess up the whole structure.

Also last time I had the last trimester in late fall/early winter, so it was even harder to find winter clothes. If I can conceive next month, I will have the last trimester in the summer so clothing choices may be a lot easier.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I'm 5'2" and size 2-4 pre pregnancy and I've had luck with clothes from Old Navy and Motherhood (although the quality at Motherhood is lousy. The tops tend to be quite short, though). I've been wearing a lot of skirts since it's summer, but I've found that maternity capris work great as regular pants for me! I bought some capri length stretch maternity jeans at the Gap and they're perfect.

peace, Beth

·
Registered
25,044 Posts
At my first pregnancy, I was 5'0", 111 pounds.

I made my own clothes, and I bought the nursing bra in the last month.

Four pregnancies later, I am still 5'0", but alot more tonnage!

MOre to love!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Old Navy ankle length - it's the only way to go. There cheap, but also inexpensive. For shirts, I went with the really stretchy stuff and wore it tight that way it wasn't nearly as long. Honestly my mother hemmed some shirts and pants for me as well and I wore them through both pregnancies. The shirts are the hardest - go for stretchy in the smallest size you can get away with and enjoy your glorious goddess body!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am 5'2" and usually a size 4 prepregnancy. For skirts I just went with larger (size 10/12) short skirts. Kohls has some really cute tops although they sometimes run big. Even with my extra larger breast sizes I could fit into the smalls. But they do have extra small

·
Registered
247 Posts
I personally don't like many maternity clothes and just buy elastic waist skirts, stretchy tops, and such. I find they are more flattering on my small frame. I agree, most maternity clothes swallowed me up.

·
Registered
116 Posts
baby style catalog- expensive, but nice and I am still wearing them postpartum!

old navy-cheap. I did have a problem though with below belly jeans not staying up. I did love below belly jean skirt I bought there and also still wearing postpartum.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'm having trouble everywhere I go. I do ok with my yoga pants because they stretch but also have a drawstring to adjust for the expanding waistline. I abhor the pants with panels so I avoid them like the plague, but they're probably the only ones that would stay up. I have a few maternity tops from Motherhood but the fall ones I tried are way too long. I'm 5'2.5" and a pre-pregnant 105 lbs which puts me in a size 2. Unfortunately (or fortunately for making room for baby) I'm long waisted so with low rise pants I can't keep them up. Capris almost work for full length pants, but not quite. Regular clothes in bigger sizes make me look like a slob too. I'm getting desparate because I'm at 21 weeks and it's time. Last time I was working and I guess I had better luck with professional looking clothes. This time I'd like to look cute, but not dressed up. I'm home with a 2 yo for pete's sake. I need practical but I don't want to wear sweats all the time either. I'll be checking back with this thread.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also thought the pants with the panel were gross. I guess the idea is you wear a long shirt that covers it, but of course those shirts hung to my knees. I decided I would rather buy a brand-new pair of jeans each month than wear the panel pants! But finally in my last trimester I caved. Dh's size 38 waist jeans were too tight, and I had to roll the cuffs so many times I looked like a freak, and I was tired of wearing sweats, so when my dad sent me a pair of jeans with panels I just wore them, and they weren't that bad! The only thing was the panel was long enough to go up to my chest, but at least the legs were short. I could wear them with dh's polo shirts or size large t-shirts and the panel was covered. I still have them!

I like the Babystyle stuff but since we're only planning for one more I don't want to spend a lot on something I will only wear for a few months and then never again. But hey, if people really can wear them postpartum...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Come on, get real. Do you ever want to look at those maternity clothes again after the baby is born. The first thing I did was dig out my regular clothes and box up the maternity stuff. I can't imagine wanting to continue to wear that stuff (even the cute stuff.) Give me something fitted with a waist band and a girly t-shirt.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Congrats on TTC!!!

I'm 5'0 and last year when we were TTC I was about a size 0-2. Its so difficult to find petite maternity clothes!!!
: Anyways, I did alot of looking and shopping on ebay (petitie maternity clothes) and got some great deals. Also, loved GAP and Old Navy, because they do carry petite lengths.

Good luck~

Lisa:bf

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.