Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, did any of you find that your pet(s) acted different to you during pregnancy? My pup has been much more mouthy, playful and demanding of attention lately, and so I'm wondering...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I think our cat knew before it was actually confirmed for us. She was more loving towards me and one night, she came right up to my face, it was so weird, but she could tell,Ijust knew it,the next day,I found out for sure!!

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
i don't have any pets right now, but last time my best friend's cat who normally hides from everybody would come up to me and get comfy in my lap for long periods of time. i noticed the first time was the day i got my bfp. it's funny, but i *knew* it was because i was pregnant.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
i did doula work for a woman whose cat always knew she was pregnant before she did! "Lungs" would start to snuggle and lick her... and every time, she was right. very odd... must be a smell?

my animals seem clueless... but my poor husky learned to skedaddle whenever i headed for the bathroom fast! he hated the barfing... if i cough hard, or move fast, even now, he scrambles to get out of the way, poor thing.

k

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
My male dog Havoc has known each time. Generally he is a 105lb lap dog but as soon as I'm pregnant he will only rest his head in my lap--oddly though, alway within a week of the m/c's he's back to plunking his humongous body right on top of me to cuddle.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Last time, my male Pit Bull, Connor, wouldn't stop licking my belly (and he wanted to lick my breasts, but I drew the line!) He would come lie next to me and just lick and lick and liiiiick, with his eyes almost closed, like he was in heaven. He'd almost lick my tummy raw sometimes, and I'd have to push him away, but being a bulldog, he was hard to convince otherwise! My female Pit Bull didn't act any differently towards me, but she is a very well-mannered lady. So maybe she was just being more polite. :LOL

·
Registered
447 Posts
With my first two pregnancies we had a cat who was not very bright in general, but definitely seemed to bond to me when I was pregnant in a different way than she normally did. Unfortunately, she has died and our other two cats, who are much smarter animals, just don't have that same intuition!

·
Registered
149 Posts
We have three dogs. They have all been stuck to me like glue. It is like they are guarding me. I continually have to tell one of them to get out of my way. At night he has taken to sleeping on the floor on my side of the bed. This dog was DH's from before we got married and he has always very loyally slept near DH on his side of the bed. That all changed earlier this year and I'm certain it is because of the baby on the way. The dog that I have had since I was 21 has also become more social with me and more clingy. She has to be on the couch next to me when before she liked to hide in quiet places. She had a stroke when she was 2, that was when she started seeking out the quietest places possible. I'm so happy that she wants to be near me again! The third dog we got as a puppy together about 2 years ago. She has always preferred me and has been my little shadow. She used to get on my lap all of the time and if I would not let her on my lap she would snuggle against DH's leg, never mine. Now she will snuggle against my leg. Between the two dogs snuggling against me, the big ol' belly, and the other dog always laying by my feet, it is impossible to get up out of a chair!
(secretly, I LOVE the attention!
)

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I think animals definitly have that "sense". when I was pregnant with my first (I didnt know yet) my boyfriends cat would follow me around everywhere! Which was amusing as I really hated his cat and this cat would usually keep a far far distance from me. She would follow me to the bathroom and cry outside and scratch the door until I opened it. We ended up bonding very well until my son was born. then she went back to ignoring me! For my second, I suspected but kept trying to deny it until I went to my moms. And sure enough, her unfriendly siamese jumped onto my lap and purred. Well, there was my bfp!
so, maybe its time to run out and buy a hpt. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
117 Posts
The only pet that we share our home with is a small parakeet who had strangely become a lot friendlier and interested in human interaction since I became pregnant. I'm not convinced that he really knows that he's going ot have some competition for attention, but I can't dismiss that maybe he does sense something
He's a clever little fellow ...

·
Registered
572 Posts
My Mil has boston terriers and her dog Moxy wouldn't let her daughter Abbey jump on me at all! And then when Moxy wanted to be by me she would lay by me and when I would try to put her in my lap she would jump down turn around look at me and snort.
She also would smell my belly!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts