Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got just about all of my pfs at least 2nd hand from the TP. They are so soft and lovely ... just perfect! Except that almost all of them are starting to fray at the edges! I was hoping that they would last through at least dd (nearly 2 but nowhere near pl yet) but at this rate they'll be rags in another month or two. Is it feasible to bind the edges with something?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
are all the edges fraying or just the serged edges? My serged edges occasionally fray where the serging didn't catch as well and they seem to hold up quite well even though they are a bit stringy!

You can go out and get some bias tape and run that around your edges. It should hold up no problem and shouldn't take too long. It's not too expensive.

How many kids have they taken care of already? it seems odd to me that you'd have lots of fraying...

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it's not the serged edges, it's the folded edges on the long sides of the dipes. I have no idea how many babies they've all been through, since I got 'em used, but they were in perfect condition up until a couple of months ago when I started noticing the fraying. It's not bad at all yet, but I want to make sure they last through at LEAST one more babe! The bias tape sounds like a good idea. I was wondering about using a strip of decorative fabric to bind the edges too. That way they'd be fancy AND reinforced!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If you have a serger or know someone who does, then I'd just serge those long edges and use frey check on the ends and call it a day.

If you don't have a serger, but a regular sewing maching you could get some printed flannel you like and basically sew another layer on the ends that wraps around to the other side and basically encase the raw edges with new fabric. Leave the middle alone and have cute sides.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, Danielle, that's kind of what I had in mind. No serger, but I do have a sewing machine. Yippee!!! Now I get to plunder through my mom's closet full of fabric scraps!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
you can make your own bias tape (you can get a folding tool for quite cheap at fabric stores) You just cut your fabric in strips on the bias (diagonal to the grain) and then run it through the folder and iron it on the other side then you're set to go with the edges.

They're going to look GREAT!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jes'sBeth
you can make your own bias tape
NEAT!!!!
Thank you so much for telling me that; I had NO idea! I'm so excited! I've seen embellished pfs for sale but couldn't justify the expense, but heck, I'll just make my own!

YAY!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts