Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about 3 months along, and BF has been painful from the beginning (it's how I knew I was PG). My supply is _gone_, ds is comfort nursing.

Where do I start?

I never planned on having more than one biological child. I've always been lazy about latch issues because how he nursed didn't hurt at all, but for a long time (never really paid attention) I've had a dark area that looks like bruising around the nipple. I never worried about it, because like I said, I was only gonna have one bio.

My son is 26 months old. He is on a feeding tube for failure to thrive. The feeding team has been after me to wean since the beginning (13 months). Heck no! But at that age he was EBF and dangerously skinny and bowing to pressure I put him on a nursing schedule, and have gradually cut back to the point where he's only nursing 2x per day.

So....here's my problem...

Ds is extremely attached to nursing because it was gradually "taken away" from him when he (and I) wasn't really ready. He is NOT emotionally ready to wean. He still asks for milk sometimes during the day, even though we haven't nursed during the day for months.

But... it really hurts to do this comfort nursing, and I am worried that I/he may be damaging my nips and endanger my ability to successfully nurse #2. After all our trials with #1 being FTT, I'm not sure I could handle supply issues with #2 on top of everything. I am trying with only a little success to get him to open his mouth wider, but the habits of 2 years are hard to break.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
It won't hurt your nipples or your ability to breastfeed your second child. I've been through it twice now, so I can say that with certainty. Unfortunately, I have no suggestions to gently wean your son if you feel it necessary, because I could never bring myself to do it. And I was literally in tears while nursing Linda sometimes.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reassurance. One less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
I was going to say the same thing ... just did that with ds#2 while pregnant with ds#3 ... lost my supply at 3 months, and had painful nipples the entire pregnancy. He comfort nursed the entire time (2 years until 2 1/2 years when ds#3 was born), and is still nursing now (with milk - how nice to not have sore nipples again).

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It won't cause permanant physical damage. However, once it started hurting during pregnancy, nursing was never the same (for me). Yes, I've been painfully nursing for 3.5 years, and no-one seems able to solve the problem.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
For me, I found that drinking lots of water so that I was very well hydrated helped a LOT with the nipple pain. It did not go away completely till the second half of my pregnancy when the colostrum came in, but it was a lot better if I stayed well hydrated. Might be something to keep in mind. I hope things get better for you soon.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
I too had a similar experience preg while bf and my nips are working just fine just ask Zoe
And a not so good time with #1 shouldn't discourage you from bfing #2, how sad
would that be...good luck with #2 and best wishes for you and #1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts