Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
What a sad story. I would, without a doubt, want that to be done to/for me. I hope that they leave the baby in as long as possible (as long as it is doing okay) and that they don't take it out as soon as they think possible. After making such hard decisions, I would want to be sure the baby would live.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
I'm not sure what I'd want. I think it would depend on how much chance the baby had of being in good health and having a good life.

One thing I don't get: Why haven't they told the little boy that his mother isn't coming back? I think I would have had a symbolic funeral of some sort to mark her passing for him.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
If it were me, I'd want to be kept alive in that situation.

As for not telling the 2yo- I don't know. It could be very confusing for him to hear that Mommy is dead and then have a sibling born afterwards. I would trust the family to know the child better than any of us do, and to figure out the best way to explain things to him.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I would want to be kept alive if the baby would survive.

We've had this discussion as well. I even told dh that if something were to happen and I were to end up in a coma, where there was hope for recovery, that if we had a nursling under the age of 1 I wanted my breast milk expressed. NOt that I would realize it but I would think it would "boost my spirit" if that is possible while in a coma. Like, if I were to wake up I think I would feel a little sad that I had dried up...not that that is the most important thing but to me it is.

Did that make any sense??

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Sending prayers....

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I don't think I would want to be kept alive just to deliver a baby at 25 weeks. 30 weeks, yes, possibly, but the idea *for me* makes me very uncomfortable. I'm not in this situation, obvious, and I respect anyone's decision to do it.

I gotta chew on this a little more.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galatea
Are they definitely going to deliver at 25 weeks? Can't they wait longer if possible? 25 weeks is awful early.
You'd think if they've kept her alive to this point they'd continue to try doing the same and keep monitoring her to give the baby as much time to develop as possible. They can always take the baby if the mother declines.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would want to be kept alive too. I got the impression from the article that they are going to hold off on delivering the baby for as long as possible. It sounds like it depends on the cancer because it's spreading and hence they don't want it to spread to the baby and her uterus.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Oh wow, I can't even begin to imagine what that family is going through.

I have discussed this with DH so he knows my wishes. A pregnancy is the only instance where I would want a feeding tube, etc. I would want to be kept alive long enough to deliver the baby (as close to full-term as possible) and then I would want the plug pulled.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galatea
Are they definitely going to deliver at 25 weeks? Can't they wait longer if possible? 25 weeks is awful early.
I think they're worried that the longer then baby stays inside her, the greater the chance of her cancer spreading to her uterus gets.

I'm wiping away the tears now, what a horrible and beautiful story at the same time. I hope it has a happy ending.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyesOfTheWorld
I think they're worried that the longer then baby stays inside her, the greater the chance of her cancer spreading to her uterus gets.

The CNN segment I saw told that it is a race against the cancer to 25 weeks. If it gets into her blood system (which is apparently likely) it could get to the baby very quickly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts