Mothering Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
685 Posts
That is so very sad...

If I were in that situation, I would want my body to be kept alive until the baby could be born. At least something good could come of my death in that case. Still, it makes me so sad to think of a baby or a little child without his or her mommy

· Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I hadnt thought about the cancer spreading to her blood! I hope it doesnt.

I think I would want to be kept alive for the baby, and like a PP said, to give milk to a nursling under 1 if I had one.

· Registered
3,267 Posts
I would definately want to be kept alive until the baby could be delivered. But I wouldn't want my baby delivered before 27 weeks. If I were pregnant and dying and there was no way to keep my body alive till the baby reached at least 27 weeks then I would want my baby to go with me. I would rather my baby went in the comfort and peace of my womb, than a day, or even weeks later after being poked and prodded and attached to all kinds of tubes.

· Premium Member
16,194 Posts
I'd want to be let go peacefully. I wouldn't want to leave dh with another baby to take care of without me, especially a preemie.

· Registered
2,066 Posts
I think that if something like this were to happen to me, I wouldn't want my body to be kept alive for a baby that wasn't yet capable of surviving outside the womb. I would be concerned about how my dh would be able to raise the baby by himself, and I would worry about the possible pyschological effects on the baby whose mother had died while pregnant with them. Being one with a person and them dying while you're inside of them...I can't imagine all the negative possibilities. I do understand and respect this family's decision though.

· Registered
2,979 Posts
I'm torn about what I would want to happen. I guess I have to think about it.

I saw the dh on The Today Show this a.m. and started bawling when I heard Katie Couric say, "And Pete (that's the 2 year old) is asking where is mommy is?" I have a 2 year old and I just pictured me "dead" and my ds asking where I was. My heart breaks because I'm sure Pete misses his mommy so much and doesn't understand where she's gone and why she hasn't come back yet.

Okay, I think I would want to be kept alive only if my dh thought he could handle the preemie and the toddler. I would want my toddler to feel loved and secure from my dh if I ever died and I don't know that would be possible with a preemie to tend to. I hope our family never faces something this tragic. My heart is broken for them.

S.

· Registered
9,015 Posts
Quote:
. For Torres, the routine is something solid to grasp in a life he says "was blown to pieces" nearly six weeks ago and continues to be rocked by aftershocks.

Quote:
Against long odds, the baby Susan was carrying when she was stricken appears to be thriving after nearly 21 weeks of gestation, If she can stay alive another month, and the cancer stays away from her uterus, the baby could be delivered and have a chance of surviving, he says.
If I'm reading this right, She had the stroke May 7, 6 weeks ago. She was 21weeks when she had the stroke, so she'd be 27weeks now. Another month would make her 31weeks.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.