Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been times when I have heard this muffled distant cry (and I know it's ds) and I'm so positive that he's woken up that I've gone into his room ... and he's fast asleep.

This happened a lot when he was first born, and I was seperated from him. My mom took him into the living room when he was 2 days old so I could get some sleep, and when I layed down and closed my eyes, all I could hear was his screaming, combined with that 'tuning-fork' sensation that happens in your belly, and I lept up and ran into the living room and there he was sitting on my moms lap looking at the world.

I doesn't happen very often, but I was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
I don't know if it's the same thing or not but Molly will sometimes SCREACH in her sleep, I go running in there and she's fast asleep. The nights that it happens it seems to happen repeatedly, I don't know if she's dreaming or just screwing with me

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you!!!
I've been avoiding posting this qestion, thinking maybe I was nuts.
The sound is muffled and distant, but seems soooooo real.

Im just glad other people have experienced this

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
That happened to me just last night. I was hearing 2 y/o ds cry out for "Mommy!" but he was sound asleep.

~Nay

·
Registered
974 Posts
I hear it sometimes, too. I try to get my shower before Dh leaves for work and while the kids are still asleep, and I can't tell you how many times I've rushed through a shower and raced out (thinking that one or more were awake and yelling for me), only to find them all fast asleep.
: The phantom crying started when ds#1 was born, and usually continues with each one until about age 2, when it starts to dissipate for me. Since I only hear it when we're separated, I'm guessing that it's evidence of our bond, and the need to stay close.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by theatermom View Post
Since I only hear it when we're separated, I'm guessing that it's evidence of our bond, and the need to stay close.
That makes total sense, and like I said Im just glad others have experienced this as well. I've asked some friends, but they just give me a wierd look and say no.
It doesn't bother me so much, and I do think that it reflects our bond -- just like when he wasn an infant and I'd wake up WIDE AWAKE at 2:13am, and think what the heck? Listen out, hear nothing. Then a minute later I'd hear him start to wake.

It's pretty amazing, this maternal bond

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Happened for me in the shower, too. At least half a dozen times I would swear I heard one of my DDs crying, but they weren't.

It's happened a couple of other times too, after DD is asleep at night. Only when she was tiny, though, like 6 mos or younger.

·
Registered
526 Posts
It happens A LOT at our house, DH and I finally told each other we thought our house might be haunted. our DS fell out of our second story window this past July, and we both told each other, much later, that we thought maybe a ghost pushed him out.

There, now you can all feel like the sane ones
:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Yea, my daughter lives with me and has a 1 year old, sometimes I will hear him crying and go see if she needs a hand, and everyone is sound asleep.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I experienced this a lot when DD was younger (baby through age 2?). I must admit that I'm also missing more than half of my hearing so not hearing DD crying was a constant fear of mine. We have 3 cats....I found that their whining/yowling and/or fighting in the yard with other neighborhood cats can also sound a lot like crying. A lot of my "phantom crying" turned out to be lonely and upset cats...

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jess A View Post
Happened mostly when my children were babies . . .and I was in the shower. THere were times I'd stop the water 3 or 4 times, get out, and check them, and they'd be fast asleep.
I have done this SO many times.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Oh yeah.

What's bad, is that I heard it after my miscarriages, before I had a live baby. So that was sp ooooooky.

Then after my dd, I had PPD with psychosis, and I heard babies crying all the freaking time. She would be laying next to me sound asleep, and I would wake myself up digging in the closet for a baby .

I still lay down to sleep at night, with the monitor tuned way up to my toddler's room, and I'll jerk awake at that baby cry in my head. then I'll realize its not for real, and i'll go to sleep.

Now I'M the weird one

·
Registered
353 Posts
My mother has had problems with phantom crying. She had an abortion in 1974 and "stuffed" the pain. Then 29 years later the abortion came up and she would wake up in the night a few times a week hearing her baby cry. This continued until she went to a post-abortion retreat and found healing.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jess A View Post
Happened mostly when my children were babies . . .and I was in the shower. THere were times I'd stop the water 3 or 4 times, get out, and check them, and they'd be fast asleep.

same here! it also happens to me when im doing dishes. i was starting to think i had some sort of neurosis. glad im not the only one.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I've had it with all my children.

I also at the most extreme, I would waked up in a paniac searching for my first child. She was in the bed with us, right beside me. I even did it when she was nursing once.
:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by veggijessie View Post
My mother has had problems with phantom crying. She had an abortion in 1974 and "stuffed" the pain. Then 29 years later the abortion came up and she would wake up in the night a few times a week hearing her baby cry. This continued until she went to a post-abortion retreat and found healing.
wow. That must have been so traumatic to go through, especially 29 years later, I think that most people believe that "time heals all wounds" but really, dealing with an issue is what heals the wound.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I was about to post this very thing yesterday but didn't b/c I thought people would think I was crazy. My husband does! Before I had my son, I used to hear music in the shower all the time, now it is usually just my son crying. The reason I started to get nervous about it is because I read somewhere that psychotics often hear voices in white noise like running water or a fan. So glad I'm normal (or we're all psychotic!)

Rachel

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.