Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am pregnant with my second child, and have had to take Phenergan (starting yesterday) to stop from constantly vomiting (I have bouts of this on and off, and I am 15 and half weeks!). I have literally tried every remedy out there. I'm not kidding. The first three months, regular acupunture, every homeopathic remedy for nausea plus gingerroot, dancing a a circle and patting my head.

I went ahead with Phenergan because the next step was going to the ER for an IV (I couldn't even keep water down). Now, I have read that Phenergan is compatible with breastfeeding, but you should limit it to one dose (I have already taken two and will probably need more to get my strength back), and you should "watch the infant for sleepiness." Well, my DS is not an infant. He is a strapping 3 yo, 30lb toddler and he really only nurses 2-3 times per day. He nursed for a long time yesterday before I took the drug (about 9 pm), and has not nursed since then.

Of course, all the research I do is either for infants, or say not to breastfeed. So, I thought this was a better place to ask.

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was really sick again with this pregnancy and had to take Zofran to keep from throwing up constantly. I was still nursing my son who had just turned one at the time. I tried to take it as sparingly as possible and usually right before I fed him so I wouldn't puke, but it wasn't in my breast milk yet. The few times I had to take it that it did affect my breast milk his poop was runny the next day. We made it thru though and he is still nursing and I'm almost 6 months pregnant! I would say with only nursing your son a few times a day you will be fine if you can manage to take the medicine when it isn't going to affect your milk.

Amy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.