Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've done a few searches and as far as I can tell, this should be the best area of the forum for me to post in. Please let me know otherwise.

My hubby and I are expecting our first baby, a girl, the last week of January. We live in an immediate western suburb of Philadelphia and are going to the Birth Center in Bryn Mawr for midwifery care and for the birth. In my last visit my midwife gave me a stern talking to about finding a pediatrician, which has been a challenge for us so far. The thing is that we really don't have any friends with kids, most of our friends are couples and singles without children. So we have no idea who to ask for a recommendation, let alone one who would support us in our desire to do natural family/ attachment parenting practices.

I did not express this to the midwife, I will see her again on Monday, because they gave us a lot of handouts and info on finding one - most of which boils down to advice like "ask for recommendations and then ask these interview questions when you get there." Then I went online to find possibilities and the amount of info is just staggering. How do I know where to begin. My insurance company has provided us with a list of over 400 Delaware valley area approved pediatricians. Am I just supposed to start with a radius of 'x' miles from home and call each one?

I guess I feel like this has become a lot more complicated than it needs to be. Normally I worry and plan out everything, however since I've been pregnant, it has been a lot easier for me to relax and just go with the flow of things, and I've been lucky to have had a fairly easy pregnancy so far - part of which I attribute to my attitude. This pediatrician search has unfortunately provided me with more stress and anxiety than I anticipated.

Can anyone here offer me any advice or recommendations? I'm even willing to go off provider list for the right doctor, but how do I get started?

Thanks for the help, Bev

·
Registered
392 Posts
A better place to ask on MDC may be in the Finding Your Tribe section under Pennsylvania - there will be many more people who live in the Phila area. Of course, there may be some people in our DDC club who have suggestions - that subsection may just get you more comprehensive information.

I grew up in Phila, but haven't lived there in 15 years (eek!). Sorry I can't help.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
There are several threads in Finding Your Tribe about this -- just search back through the archives. I know there's at least one in Narberth, and there are some in NW Philly. I'm in Philly, but I don't know the hcps of the western 'burbs that well.

Also, try going to a La Leche League or other breastfeeding support meeting (I know the Birth Center has a few of its own). Ask the group who their peds are, and whether they like them. Plus it's a good idea to do that prenatally anyway!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses, I will go search and post over there!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 5-month-old daughter and have been very picky about choosing a pediatrician for her. I have met with 5 pediatricians. I love attachment parenting and wanted to selectively immunize, so I wanted a doctor who would support my unorthodox decisions. Here are a summary of my personal impressions:

1. Dr. Daphne Goldberg
http://www.totalaccessmedical.com/tam_physicians.html
By far the best doctor I've ever met (obviously, that's my subjective opinion). She talked with my husband and I for over an hour about vaccinations and also why she joined a boutique practice (Boutique practices do not accept insurance) . Vaccinations were my main concern at the time and she was the most knowledgeable of the 5 doctors; she had obviously done a lot of research into vaccines, which is something that most pediatricians do not seem to do. When I visited her I had been reading everything I could find about vaccines on the Internet and I was thoroughly confused and overwhelmed. After talking with Dr. Goldberg, my head was much more clear, although she did not tell me what I should do. I could go into more detail, but this would get too long. Dr. Goldberg is knowledgeable, down-to-earth, has a great sense of humor.... What I liked most about her was that she made me feel empowered. She believes that vaccinations should ultimately be decided by the parents, and she is totally supportive of parents making their own educated decisions, instead of just grudgingly accepting their decisions. She was the only doctor I met who had this attitude.
My midwife has attended births with her and she said that births with Dr. Goldberg are the most home-birth-like she has ever experienced in a hospital. Dr. Goldberg would actually love to do home births, but her liability insurance would not cover it.
She is also trained in holistic medicine, she's an obstetrician, and a family doctor - very unusual these days.
I can't imagine a better pediatrician, but we can't afford to go to her yet.

2. Dr. Penny Soppas
http://www.drexelhillpeds.com/
When I asked her about her view on vaccinations she basically just said that she thinks they're a good idea and would accept an alternative immunization plan, but my feeling was that she didn't like the idea. I felt that I would have to defend my decisions with her. I didn't feel any warmth from her.

3. Dr. Susan Lipson
http://www.pennhealth.com/Wagform/Ma...r&P=LP&ID=2937
Very friendly. When I asked her about vaccinations, she told me about all the different illnesses and how horrible they are. She said she would be willing to work with an alternative schedule, but I felt like I would have to defend my decisions with her.

4. Dr. Joseph Price
http://www.partnersinwellness.us/
We went to Dr. Price for a few months and we were happy with him, although he did say a few things that I didn't agree with. He is a holistic family doctor - very VERY rare. He takes time to get to know his patients. He was very supportive of an alternative vaccination plan and attachment parenting. I stopped going to him because he's too far away from us.

5. Dr. Eric Berger
http://www.centercitypediatrics.com/
This is my daughter's current doctor. He is somewhat open to an alternative vaccination plan. Fortunately, he approves of the vaccination plan that I decided on. He is supportive of bed sharing or co-sleeping, as long as we're aware of the risks and do it safely. Very supportive of breastfeeding and midwifery. His practice opened in June, so he's still building up the practice. This is GREAT for us because it means that he has lots of time! Although he's not perfect for us in the way that I feel Dr. Goldberg is, I feel that he is quite adequate.

I hope this helps someone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.