Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bouight a gorgeous yarn kit locally from the Philosopher's Wool Company. Their yarn is gorgeous - but does anyone else find their pattern instructions difficult to follow? I had forgotten about this with them. Any tips?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Their farm is half an hours drive from me, but i have not been there yet. I have used their socks book, and found the directions easy to follow. There is also a video that they sell about two handed fair isle knitting. Sorry i can't be of more help

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I've done 2 of their sweaters (a cardigan and a pullover) and a hat (pattern available from their website), and yes, their patterns do take some getting used to.

How experienced are you at knitting sweaters? I found I had to fudge a little bit based on what I wanted, and what I knew their pattern said to do. If you can, knit the sweater your own way and use their instructions as "guidelines".

I found this particularly hard to do on one of their patterns that calls for you to make up your own colourway. I kept wanting them to tell me what colour yarn to use next, and instead they told me to just roll a dice! (Each number corresponding to a colour, so in the end you were supposed to get "random-ness"). Sorry, but I'm too much of a control freak
, so I did it my own way, and wrote everything out.

Also, the finished project will be scratchy right off the needles. It helps to wash it first in Eucalan (or whatever wool wash you might have), and lay flat to dry. After a few wearings it softens up really nicely.

One of their pullovers is my usual winter coat! Its so warm and soft that its been my favourite for 3 years now, including a winter when I was 7-9mo preggy!

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I have been knitting for years, done lots of complicated patterns with cables, fair isle, intarsia, one sweater used over 50 yarns - but for some reason their way of putting the pattern on paper drives me nuts. I guess I just have to dive in and hope it makes sense as I go.

julielenore - where are you? I live on the shore of Lake Huron. I used to see their stuff for sale at the Owen Sound farmer's market every Saturday.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I bought a kit and their book from them, after I took a two-handed fair isle workshop from Lucy Neatby. But I haven't got around to making it yet! I hope that I will one day, cause the box of lovely yarn makes me feel so guilty, I've tucked it away under the couch so I don't have to look at it anymore! Anyone have pics of finished philosopher patterns they'd like to share?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post
julielenore - where are you? I live on the shore of Lake Huron. I used to see their stuff for sale at the Owen Sound farmer's market every Saturday.
I am in Chesley, but used to live in Owen Sound until 5 years ago. Gosh I miss the farmers market
but I make up for it in Keady on Tuesdays

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The OS market was my favourite thing about living there - especially breakfast at Birgit's. I haven't been to Keady in awhile - I may even go there this morning, come to think of it. We lived in OS until 2 years ago - I wonder if we've ever met? I just ordered the video form Philosopher's wool - I learn best by watching. I figure the video wail be good for my kids too. They are starting to get the knitting bug too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.