Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I may be moving to Cali from NY and wanted to know the process for using a philosophical exemption for school. from the research I have done it seems very easy. does anyone have any experience with this that they can share?<br><br><br>
Also, it is an all or nothing exemption, or can you selectively vaccinate- do they care with this type of exemption?<br><br><br>
thanks!

·
Registered
24,722 Posts
My mom used it for me and I used it for my kiddos.<br><br>
Take the vax copy, turn it over, look at the bottom of the page, right hand corner and check the Philosophical box.<br><br>
It appears to be all or nothing. If you selecively vax, go ahead!<br><br>
Done.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
We do some vax. For ds's preschool I checked the philosophical box then wrote a note about it and they kept it on file.

·
Registered
638 Posts
We vax selectively, and used an exemption. If I remember correctly, there was the option for a religious, philosophical or medical exemption. As part of the paperwork for preschool registration, a physical was required. Along with that paperwork, the vaccine record (which we had because we have done some) had to be turned in. Once the school saw that he wasn't up to date according to the standard schedule, they just gave me a form to sign. It was super easy and no one made a big deal. They just have to have it on file for licensing purposes so they know who has and hasn't been vaccinated in case of an out break. It was explained to me that they just had to have documentation that they gathered complete information on each child. A friend whose DD is at the same school has had no vaccines, and she had to sign the same form as I did.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Oh, that's right. The paperwork warned us that if there was an outbreak of something he might be excluded from school or something. I don't remember. It was easy and they didn't make a big deal.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I actually found a legal exempt form online for my ds preschool. They never questioned it. We just dated and signed the form. It was very easy.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Yep, it's easy as pie. We are only missing one "required" vaccine for DS1, but his school said it's actually easier for them to just have the affidavit on file, and then they don't need a copy of his vax record at all. His preschool director isn't a fan of vaccinations ;-) so she hands out the affidavit with the paperwork when you register. If you don't have that form (we didn't, and didn't know of its existence, at his first school) you can just write up a short letter explaining that your child is missing such-and-such vaccinations due to your parental discretion or whatever.<br><br>
If the school has a commercial license instead of an in-home license, there's a health form you have to take and get signed by your child's doctor, too, which is annoying, but it doesn't seem to matter with the vaccine thing.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
And just a reminder, the CA law covers all schools, public AND private, and even daycares and places like the YMCA.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Yeah, it's been easy for us too. Just check the box & sign the form. We've done it at 3 different schools now and no one has even batted an eye.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
<span style="color:#008080;"><br><br>
I just enrolled my daughter for K and i just printed out a waiver and signed it and also took her shot record and let them copy that also and had no problems. She was almost fully vaxed.<br><br></span>

·
Registered
877 Posts
here's the pdf of the California School Immunization Record:<br><a href="http://www.besanthill.org/downloads/enrollment_packet/immuniztion.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.besanthill.org/downloads/...mmuniztion.pdf</a><br><br>
page 2 (scroll down) is the back of the form, i think it's blue when you get it at a school.<br><br>
every now and then you may encounter a school secretary trying to play games, who (when asked questions about vaxes) will say there are no exemptions. ignore her, enroll your kid, and when you get to the form among the stack of papers, turn the form over and sign.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts