Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a wide excision on my arm for melanoma 4 weeks ago. At the same time they did a lymph node biopsy.

Under my arm and down the underside of my arm continues to be swollen and tender and restricts my movement.

I went to the Dr. and he thinks I may have Phlebitis (inflammation in the veins around the lymph node biopsy site) and possibly blood clots and wants to start me on a round of prednisone followed by high doses of ibuprofen (600mg 3x daily).

I asked him if I did nothing, would it resolve on it's own and his answer was "Maybe but, we can greatly speed things along with the prednisone and Ibuprofen"

It's not bad enough that I feel like I need to speed things along but, I do need it to resolve itself and so far, it's gotten only so much better and no more.

So, I feel like I need to do something. But, I'm not sure what. I'm not going to take the prednisone. My dad is a Dr. and he said he would only take it if his life depended upon it so he doesn't want me to take it.

But, high doeses of ibuprofen don't thrill me either.

Uggg..... anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Short-term doses of prednisone and high-dose ibuprofen are commonly used, and have a good safety record. That ibuprofen dosing is not even the max (4X/day I think) you can take with 600mg. I would do it because blood clots are serious stuff. Your risk of heart attack and stroke is pretty high if that's what's going on.

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanAbimytwomiracle View Post
Short-term doses of prednisone and high-dose ibuprofen are commonly used, and have a good safety record. That ibuprofen dosing is not even the max (4X/day I think) you can take with 600mg. I would do it because blood clots are serious stuff. Your risk of heart attack and stroke is pretty high if that's what's going on.
Ibuprofen doesn't do anything for blood clots, though. Neither does prednisone (both of those would be for swelling.) For blood clots, you need aspirin, or something stronger.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I would consult a professional homeopath. I totally believe that Classical Homeopathy could definitely help with any inflammatory process.

I wouldn't do steroids. Steroids increase the risk of blood clots. http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-9383...l&pagenumber=6
http://ibdcrohns.about.com/cs/predni...oideffects.htm
http://www.pcca.net/Prednisone.html

What about warm compresses; no massage to the site. I'd do probiotics to strengthen the immune system, not suppress the immune system.

Water kefir or REAL milk kefir.

I'm sorry this is happening.

Pat

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your thoughts!

I am doing the ibuprophen and it's helping.

I'm terrified though - we are flying tomorrow and the thought of flying and blood clots scares me to death.

My dad (he's a Dr) and my surgeon both say that these would not be a problem - it's deep vein thromosis that causes problems but, I'm still terrified

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Pat!

I just want you to know that I value your advice so much.

Because of you, I'm a kefir drinker and am using black seed daily.

I'm really researching foods to make sure I'm getting my nutrition through whole foods.

I am also applying hot compresses to the arm pit and it really seems to be working.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and knowledge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.