Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has a good phonics book or guide to teaching kids to read to recommend?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
My son has really enjoyed the starfall readers (free!) and related games on their site, <a href="http://www.starfall.com" target="_blank">www.starfall.com</a><br><br>
He hasn't really taken an interest in phonics at this point, we've played around with it enough that he does know how it works. At this point I am catering and working with his sight learning preference (some kids learn best by sight reading, some learn best by phonics, some, I think most, with a blend of the two), if its needed we'll pick phonics back up later down the road. I didn't use a book or program for phonics, just practiced letter sounds and sounding out with him during play time, while reading a book, when he'd ask what that word is, etc..<br><br>
What we're doing now~ He does love workbooks, and thinks at least 2 are necessary, math and reading. Since he hardly used the mcgraw hill K reading book we had last yr (which is ALL phonics), I picked up a couple mh dolch word books off ebay for him instead.<br>
He has different things he's to memorize from his boys group that we put up on his chalkboard, pointing to the words as we say them. I know this has helped alot.<br>
We labeled the house with index cards. There is an index card on everything with its name printed on it, on the cupboard is a collection of words he wanted to know that didn't label anything in the house. When we know he knows that word we give him the card, it becomes HIS word, his pile of cards is small but growing all the time, he takes great pride in them being his.<br>
His nature journal is another, he draws animals, leafs, bugs, etc. we see in his nature journal (plain ole spiral bound sketch book), when we get home we'll look it up and learn about it, he'll copy its name in and write any facts that he really liked.<br><br><br><br>
*edited to add, we also have misc. kids computer games that he enjoys playing with, he's loved jumpstart and reader rabbit

·
Banned
848 Posts
We really like the Code series (explore the code, explode the code, beyond the code etc) and for sight words the Bob books. We'll be using the Star Fall readers once we get finished with the first 2 levels of Bob books.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Writing Road to Reading, or else Reading Reflex.<br><br>
Reading Reflex is easier to use, in my opinion, but Writing Road is actually the better program. In Writing Road kids learn to write, then learn to read their own writing -- which is how reading is taught in Montessori and Waldorf.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We like Starfall, BOB books, Abeka program, and most recently we are using "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons". This book has really helped it all come together for my son. We are only 15 lessons into the book and it has made a big impact. He is starting to sound everything out and is reading small books.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts