Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you doing- if anything- to prepare for labor? I read about eating a high carb diet to store up (like pre-marathon!), rasp leaf tea (obviously), evening primrose, and leg strengthening - and trying to get rest- ha!!! The rest part is tricky with a 4 yr old :)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I'm doing internal massage, or DH is doing the actual massage. It felt a little weird at first, but one of the internal muscles was really tight when we first started and its really softened up. He just uses one finger and massages in a gentle circular motion. It also helps me to identify where internally I need to focus on relaxing for the second stage of labor. Feeling his finger pressing on my rectal sphicter from that angle was a real eye opener, no wonder it feels like a BM when the baby is pushing down on that part. At least I'll know some of what to expect when it comes to pushing this baby out, as I never got to push last time.

I also have some stretching and toning exercises from my MW, and I'm practicing different labor positions so that I am comfortable with all the ones that feel like they keep my pelvis open.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Funny, I haven't craved carbs since the 1st trimester and now I can't seem to eat enough. I guess I am storing up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

What are you doing- if anything- to prepare for labor? I read about eating a high carb diet to store up (like pre-marathon!), rasp leaf tea (obviously), evening primrose, and leg strengthening - and trying to get rest- ha!!! The rest part is tricky with a 4 yr old :)

·
Registered
906 Posts
Sleep, nap, lie around as much as you can!! And let someone else take care of things as much as possible. Hunger and thirst are easy to fix during labor but lack of sleep is not.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
I try to stay as well rested as I can, easier said then done. But nothing worse then starting out labor when you are already exhausted.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'm doing RRL tea and EPO. Other than that not much. Every day I say I'm going to start perineal massage, but each day passes and I never do.

I'm screwed if this baby comes any time soon b/c I am not well rested at all.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Lots of rest, EPO, lots of RRL tea, some black cohosh (controversial I know), acupressure. I always to very late, so I am trying to avoid that this time.

What I need to be doing is exercising more and remembering to take my iron.

·
Registered
446 Posts
RLT, EPO, pregnancy yoga, walking, swimming, sex, and relaxing. I am booking an accupuncture appointment for Wednesday after my doctors appointment. I am also eating little (to make a smaller baby as my last one was huge).

I could work on getting a bit more sleep.

·
Registered
408 Posts
A little RLT, a somewhat higher proportion of carbs, continuing prenatal yoga and bellydance, walking, and lots of rest. I am not taking EPO as I am throwing up so often, I can't keep even standard prenatal vitamins down. Closeness and affectionate time with my husband are getting priority, when possible, for the comfort and any good effect on my hormones, as well..... Unfortunately, though there are sometimes resemblances, that's not 'sex', thanks to the o.b.'s comments about how low our son's head is, at the last cervical check, last week... scaring my sweet husband, oh my!
winky.gif

·
Registered
628 Posts
EPO, resting, drinking lots of water, seeing my chiro, stretching (especially my pelvis, hips and legs), sex, sex, sex. (If nothing else I need to store up some memories for the six weeks we can't do it!)

I keep meaning to get RRL tea again, but I never seem to remember when we have cash.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

I read about eating a high carb diet to store up (like pre-marathon!)
Uh... Yes. I'm just eating all these carbs in preparation
shy.gif

Aside from my marathon carb consumption, I'm just being diligent about my vitamins and liver tinctures, drinking tons of pregnancy tea, walking every day, and trying not to go completely insane. I'm desperately trying to make room in our budget for some chiro appointments, but we'll see.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

shy.gif
haha, yes, exactly. Me too. I've been doing some stretches and trying to really focus on my iron level, as it was low. Doing a lot of resting, and some good walking. My hips get sore at night (unheard of, right?) and pretending I'm hula hooping really slow helps with that, but I also wonder if that has anything to do with how low LO is. Maybe I'm just making things up, though. RRL tea and I've actually been wanting to have sex lately, so that's been nice.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think im so freaked out about the eomtional aspects of facing childbirth again that I try to do what I can physically? Even that I am not as hyped about this time. I thought i was 'prepared' the first time and it was not a great experience at all. Im feeling defiant about preparing - my brain is saying "f__ it! It's going to be hard but the baby will be born- go with it!!"

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Doing what I want, when I want it!

Which seems to be eating lots of carbs, very little meat, plenty of ice cream and napping. Mm. Trying to jump the DF as often as possible, which is not nearly often enough. What's wrong with three times a day? Why every four days instead?? :p

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

shy.gif
ROTFLMAO.gif
I've been "preparing" that way for the past 9 months!

Nothing really much except drinking RRL. Mostly trying not to think about or over-conceptualize it too much. I am walking a lot and trying to keep my pelvis stretched but have been doing that the whole time anyway because it's good for me and makes me feel better. Nald, I think you make a good point.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm pretty much with everyone else, just trying to drink RRL tea every day, taking EPO orally (can't quite bring myself to do vaginally yet), and relax and enjoy my last few days, or weeks of alone time. I have continued to do gentle pelvic opening poses, and I have been swimming to keep my strength and stamina up as well, I do a little walking every now and then, just when I feel like it. Mainly I am trying to just be happy, and stay cool in this yucky hot weather :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
RRL tea, tons of water, morning walks, and afternoon naps. I've had some semi-painful BH contractions in the past couple of days, so DH and I have been practicing some massage techniques. So far, so good...my main concern is the cut on my hand which I'm hoping will heal soon.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

Doing what I want, when I want it!

Which seems to be eating lots of carbs, very little meat, plenty of ice cream and napping. Mm. Trying to jump the DF as often as possible, which is not nearly often enough. What's wrong with three times a day? Why every four days instead?? :p
ROTFLMAO.gif
I am with you on the wishing.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.