Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this yet? I know it is getting down to the wire in getting in interviews, but we haven't done this yet at all.

I spoke with DH about it last night about if we should find one over here for the month we're going to be here after baby is born or just find one in the area we'll move to.

He does not see the need to take baby to the Dr. in the beginning unless something is wrong. He doesn't see the need for the PKU nor the Hep B. so, why go the first few weeks? I'm kinda suprised about this response from him. I'd have though he'd want to go in for an initial check up the first week. Works for me though. I did explain to him that while I don't see the reason to go to every well baby visit, I'd like to have some visits on record and some sort of loose relationship with a medical Dr. just in case. I might want to go to one or two visits and then only if baby is sick. He's fine with this.

I explained to him that I'm gathering referrals for AP friendly Docs. we could interview if we saw the need. I'd rather start out with with someone who is more supportive / knowledgable about our choices, then someone who isn't. Ya know?
He said he doesn't care 'cause if the Dr. comes out with some stupid comment, he'd LOVE to debate with them etc...
Well, depending on what our choices are when we move, he may just get that chance.

I posted for recommendations for Kitsap Co. Drs. in FYT. I hope there are some responses.

So, who has already completed this project? Was it hard, easy, in between?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Well, for me, it was mostly easy, as my mother is a Pediatric nurse in a clinic.. same place she has worked for over 25 years. It's very well respected, though most of the drs are pretty conventional. I asked her which ones would be most respectful of delayed/no vaxing, and that is how we chose.

I know that I will get great treatment there, b/c of my mom, and there are some good things about it.. they have their own lab, a 24 hr on call service, etc. I probably would have gone with a different pediatrician if my mom didn't work there, though, so there is that.

Personally, I would want to take my child in for those early visits, which comes from my not having much experience with newborns... just to have a knowledgeable person take a look, etc.

·
Registered
465 Posts
We just keep the same ped we use for our dd#1. We go to dr. Sears, according to my midwife they (this is a family practice) are the best you can get anyway.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
My hubby and I chose our ped a couple of months ago. We hired the first one we interviewed because he seemed extremely compatible with our philosophies. He was highly recommended to us by several AP mamas in our area.

Hopefully FYT will be as helpful for you as it was for me!! Good luck!!

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
HAH

No Dr around here is taking new patients.

I have no Family Dr, DD has no family Dr, and this bub wont have a family Dr either. I've given up.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
We are going to use Elle's ped for this baby too. We don't see him very often anymore (Elle had severe food intolerances when she was a baby and we were there all the time) but he knows where I firmly stand on vax's and he knows that I cannot have my arm twisted into anything so he does not even try
The only issue is going to be in February when we move about an hour away. I am most likely going to keep him as their ped because I like him and he does not lecture me. My family thinks I am a little crazy saying that I am going to drive an hour just to take them to see him but since we don't go much anyway I don't really have a problem with it.

Amy

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:
cutic We go to dr. Sears, according to my midwife they (this is a family practice) are the best you can get anyway.
WOW THE DR SEARS?

Our little bug will have no dr as well. If you can find a dr in kelowna you are a very lucky few, hah let alone interviewing them. Our midwife keeps you under her care until 6 weeks so I'm not worried.

~Erin

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
same docs as our boys... very good group, cool with no circ., and everything else that has come up with the first two, so we figure why change a good thing...

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Yes - but only because of a technicality.

Like Pandora, there are no doctors in our area taking patients on - haven't been in the 5+ years we've lived here.

When our son was 11 months old, he had an anaphylactic allergic reaction, and the ER gave us a referal to a pediatrician to monitor him and determine what his trigger was, etc.

That pedi then took on DD when she was born.

And has agreed to take on this child as well.

He doesn't agree with our non-vax'ing stance, but doesn't give me any real grief about it. He's fully supportive of extended breastfeeding, and gets a kick out of the cloth diapers.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I would love to have Dr. Sears as ped. Which one do you see?

We don't use a ped. We just all go to the family Dr. It works out great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.