Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!! Wish I had more time to come on here and post about all the other things I want to talk about...but so darn busy!
Oh well...anyways, wanted to see if this was kind of normal or not...
My ds is fourteen months and normally is not a picky eater. But all of a sudden he doesn't want to eat the normal foods he used to..ex) peanut butter sandwiches, bites of chicken, etc. He seems to gravitate more towards bottles (UGH!! We are trying to wean!!!!) or will spit out the food, throw it or shake his head no....
Is this weird to be picky all of the sudden? he is teething, maybe he is not intersted in chewing cause his gums hurt?
Just wondering, thanks!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Totally normal, just re-introduce things every couple of days or weeks. Your babe will eat when he's hungry.

best...nd

·
Registered
779 Posts
Big E is the same age and started getting picky too. I found out it is not always the food it is the way in which he gets to eat. HE thinks he needs to eat walking around, NOT cool with me!! HE HATES the highchair and if I let him take a bite, walk away, turn a circle, come back, and get another bite and repeat he will eat ANYTHNG and more than his share!! I am just trying to teach him we eat at the table, not where his little feet feel like taking him!! He is real bad about HAVING to have what we have! Not so bad because it is making us better eaters!

Good luck, I feel for you. I always tell myself what the PP said, that he will eat when he is hungry.

·
Registered
132 Posts
E's mom- We have the same issue about David not staying in his chair. We moved him from a highchair to a booster at about 14 mos because he was climbing out of the highchair. Now he climbs out of the booster and wanders, coming back for bites. We always have him start his meal in the seat, but that usually only lasts a few minutes. Patience...... he will eventually eat in a chair. For now, I'm just haappy that he's eating.

·
Banned
972 Posts
Ack...I was going through the same thing at 14 months. First off, the toddler's appetite reduces at about that time because they aren't growing as fast as they were in the first year. But in our case, a combination of pickiness and reflux really changed things. I went with Ellen Sater's "How to get your child to eat, but not too much" And just kept serving nutritious meals in small portions. If she ate it, fine. If she didn't eat it, fine. Some days she's loving peas. Some days she doesn't want them to save her life. Same with pasta. And whatever the case, I did my part, so I don't worry as much.

When kids are hungry, they usually eat in a "business like" fashion says Sater. I've found that to be true. So make sure you aren't undermining DC's appetite with too many snacks or supplements of milk.

The bottle weaning part was a long process....months and months of trying to taper, or at least get her onto some solids with milk. She wasn't into the bottle itself, but was totally attached to liquids for meals, and didn't see the role solids could play in filling her tummy. (She wasn't gaining, and the ped thought if she could get on solids she might gain.) Finally, somebody said you will just have to go cold turkey. I did, and by the third day food became a normal part of her daily consumption at 16 months. Going cold turkey isn't for everyone-- but it worked for us. Now she will ask for both milk and food instead of milk all the time. And the milk we now serve is Pediasure. I hate that stuff, but she was at zero percentile and going down, so it was kind of a Pediasure or Feeding Tube choice at that point.

Good luck!

I hope you find over the next few months that everything turns out to be normal. Frankly, I bet it will all be okay, because the toddler's appetite really does reduce for normal reasons, and the pickiness can show up in children who've previously eaten everything.

Faith

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.