Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any experienced bakers of pies point me to a favored recipe for pie crust? I have coconut oil and would be happy to use it if it works well. I think I have some Earth's Balance stuff left, but not sure about that, as my mom was using it for butter when she didn't recognize our butter-from-the-farm butter as butter. So I'm not certain how much is left. I do not have lard.

I also have butter--fresh butter from our raw milk farm and some Kerrygold butter from the store. My understanding is that part butter, and part some other kind of shortening, is best in pie crust?

I don't think I've ever made my own pie (I've been serving these sour cream shortcakes with apples cooked in a caramelized sugar sauce with rosemary sprigs for the last few years, and my SIL made pie last year) and wanted to do it for Thanksgiving this year.

I wasn't sure where to look, and thought some real-live people might be able to help me out.

Also, I have some whole wheat pastry flour and would like to use that, or some of it, if possible. (Also have whole wheat flour and whole wheat bread flour....) Thanks for any help you can offer!

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I"m using my MIL's pie crust recipe this year, so not sure how well it'll work *crossing my fingers*

I used grape seed oil instead of the crisco oil it called for, but I can't see why one couldn't use coconut oil(which I thought of using, but didn't)

2/3 cup oil (if your coconut oil is solid, warm it up enough to turn to liquid)
1/3 cup milk (I used heavy cream-but why not coconut milk if you have it)
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 cup flour

mix salt and flour and sift (I also added some spices that I was using in my pie), then mix in with wet ingredients, and either press into pie pans or roll out between 2 pieces of wax paper. I pressed in the pie pans and it was rather moist (hope it turns out, i'm so worried). We'll see, since my pies are in the oven as we speak.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.