Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of my college-aged daughter is considering having her nipples pierced, but is concerned that it may negatively effect future breastfeeding. I haven't been able to find much info on this.... LLL's answer book says they'rs little evidence that it effects BF, but wondering if anyone here has any personal insight/ anecdotes or further info on this topic. Thanks in advance! Jenny

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I had my nipples pierced for years. I am currently BF and have no issues. I do not wear any jewerly in them and haven't since I became pregnant with DS2, but the holes are still there.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Jazzmin! Anyone else have any info for me?

·
Registered
0 Posts
We have a tattooed and pierced mamas tribe here on MDC and this question has been addressed several times on that thread alone. There are a lot of knowledgeable and experienced mamas there--I suggest searching the thread (yay! we can search again!) for helpful info, but the gist of it is that there is no reason for it to negatively affect future breastfeeding. HTH!

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'm a LLL and what I have heard is that pierced nipples can cause a lot of leakage after the jewelry is removed. Usually that is the only problem.

Theoretically, scar tissue, an infection or abcess could affect nursing. I don't think anybody has really studied pierced nipples, so there isn't an evidence-based answer.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, ladies. Their is a lack of evidence based info out there. Be interesting to see if someone does a study, since body modification is fairly common these days. Jenny

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I also have (had??) one nipple pierced...I think it was just coincidental that DS and I both prefered nursing on the other one when we started out (the pierced one was slightly larger from the get go- so they were kinda different from the start). But now you we can't tell the difference. I just made sure to use them both equally even though one was easier than the other.

I did have a *little* bit of milk leakage from the hole in the begining, and milk prefered to take the path of least resistance out, but now I don't think it comes out of their anymore- it may very well have closed up?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I had my (right) nipple pierced for three years.

Hasn't affected my nursing in the slightest. Not even a leak.

Edited to add: But then, I did take it out two years before having Ryo. May have made a difference in the leaking department.

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
No prob, but I did let them heal (after having them for many years). Others I know with the piercing had no problems either. I really can't think of anyone who has.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have had mine done for three years now and was wondering the same thing! Off to go look in the Pierced mama's thread!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I had my nipples pierced and wanted to keep them through breastfeeding, but that first week after my dd was born, I absolutely had to leave them out for good. It was far too painful to take them in and out. I do leak out of the holes though. I don't have any supply issues and I haven't had blocked ducts or anything. I would say that if done correctly it doesn't cause any problems with bf.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.