2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>nm</p>

·
Registered
211 Posts
<p>What a great gift!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've only had experience with Pilates from the DVD set I bought. It is a good workout, and I could feel the burn! It's important to do the exercises correctly, so a class would really help with that. I found Pilates was a more intense workout.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Yoga is my favorite. I find it really relaxing, and a time that's just for me. I went to a beginners class when DS was 1 yo, and really enjoyed it. I'm in a prenatal class right now, and it's a great workout, and the ending is so soothing I could fall asleep! I have trouble unwinding, so listening to the music, and the teachers voice throughout the class really helps me to focus and let go. And although it's relaxing, I can also feel my body being worked too.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Hope that helps a bit! And have fun enjoying your alone time.</p>

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
<p>Well I have taken both and much prefer pilates. However, from what you described you were looking for, I think you'd prefer yoga. Have fun! Whichever one you choose, I think you'll be happy.</p>
<p>Is there a way to test out each class before you decide?</p>

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
<p> </p>
<p>I've done both and enjoyed both of them. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I like the holistic aspect of yoga, since it involves the body and the mind/spirit. It may be closer to what you are seeking.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>However, I think Pilates is important for developing core body strength and endurance. I might start with a class in Pilates in order to re-educate yourself and your body about using core muscles, proper body alignment and posture, and developing good habits. Once you've developed some awareness and strength, consider moving onto a yoga class for the more holistic experience. </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
<p>I would find out what kind of yoga it is that they offer.  Yoga comes in all kinds of packages -- from really smooth and centered Hatha yoga, to the downright brutal Bikram yoga (BRUTAL, and I say this as someone who runs about 20 miles a week).  There are so many variations, and I've found that some work better for relaxation, and some are better for kicking/toning butt.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I took one pilates class and wasn't really that excited by it.  But I will second what ollyoxenfree said about pilates being great for your core.  Had it not bored me to death I would probably have abs of steel!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Pilates is pretty no nonsense, straight up exercise.  Most yoga is going to incorporate a more personal approach.  So it kind of depends on what YOU want from your workout.  If you're just looking to tone and tighten, I would pick the pilates.  But if you're also wanting a little workout for your mind/soul, then the yoga might be a better option (as is still a great workout).</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts