Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am not pregnant yet, but we will start trying in Aug. I want to start Pilates classes June 18th at the YMCA. I am not sure how informed they will be as to what is safe, and I don't know. I have NEVER really done pilates, but I am feeling motivated! I also want to start Yoga. Both the classses are for beginner. Any info would be helpfull! Thanks

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
My midwife suggested I avoid Pilates while pregnant because of the heavy focus on "core" strengthening. That translates to a lot of abdominal work. She suggested I go with yoga which can be much gentler in the stretches.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
There is a book I use called The Pilates Pregnancy: Maintaining Strength, Flexibility, and Your Figure by Mari Winsor. I think it's all right, but it does take a long time. I also think it's better to go to a good instructor first, because pilates is very much about proper alignment and breathing. If you do it wrong, it will hurt. Bad. And it shouldn't hurt.<br><br>
I enjoy *trying* to use my abs and doing ab work during pregnancy, I find that it helps with my posture and back pain - I have mild scoliosis that's aggravated. That said, maybe you could contact the instructors first and find out if they know how to make modifications for pregnant women. Everyone is different, and say, if you're uncomfortable on your back or stomach, they should know how to help you.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I've been taking pilates for about a year or longer and do not recommend starting *after* you become pregnant. It's better to start before -- with an instructor 1-on-1 -- rather than take a class where you won't have as much attention.<br><br>
The pp is right and wrong. I'm in my 3rd tri and still doing pilates. My instructor has clients who work out until the week before they give birth...The emphasis on the core abs shifts to arms and legs in the 3rd tri. A certified pilates teacher should know that.<br><br>
The Sara Picot pilates DVD is excellent, yet I think it's important to check in with an instructor to make sure you're not going to hurt yourself. I was doing one exercise from the dvd and my instructor advised me to stop becuase I was unknowingly pushing my abs out, which could cause a muscle tear. The chances are slim, yet it's good to be careful.<br><br>
If you can, take a prenatal yoga class. I take one and it's excellent, and I don't have to worry about whether the teacher is leading me down a dangerous road. She's been working with pregos for years.<br><br>
Have fun!<br>
hh

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You Thank You!! I am going to start the Pilates class june 18th. It is not 1:1 but It is beginners. We are going to start TTC in August. That will give me enought time to talk to the teacher to see if she has experience working with Pregnant moms. I do plan on taking a prenatal yga class too! Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts