Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS is almost 9 months and we co-sleep.

Recently he has started to show interest in sleeping with his head on a pillow. Before he would sleep between us without a pillow. My question is at what age do babies start to use pillows? Also, should I start with a baby pillow (not a regular size one that we use)?

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Go ahead, my kids had them from birth.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
My dd has only recently started to get interested in pillows (she's 15 months). I think once they show an interest and are big enough to push a pillow away then it should be fine to let them use one. Maybe just make sure it's not a really soft/squishy pillow...something more firm (like one of those smaller camping pillows maybe?) so their little heads don't sink into the pillow and they don't re-breath trapped air?

·
Registered
232 Posts
DS often ends up with his head on our pillow but we try to push him off after he's asleep as a full adult-sized pillow is not good for a child since the height can put too much strain on their developing neck / spine.

HTH.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I asked our chiro about this because I've been wondering, too. He said about 2yrs, but DD seems interested now (11m), so I might get her a pillow sooner. He also suggested one of those "soapdish" shaped pillows so it'll be good for her neck. My DD sleeps on her tummy, though, so I'm not sure how that'll work out...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts