Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what age do you think it's safe to let a baby/toddler sleep with a pillow? DD is 10 months old, and she really wants a pillow. When I put her down in bed at night, she crawls up and lays her head on my pillow, and falls asleep easily like that. I have been sliding her down away from the pillow once she's soundly asleep, but then when she wakes up during the night she wants to do it again, and I get tired waiting for her to fall asleep so that I can move her again. I'm wondering when I can just give her her own pillow and be done with it? Do you think 10 months is too young?

BTW-- remember that post a few days ago about my DD sleeping in her crib? NOT! That lasted about 5 days, and then I guess the novelty wore off and she's back in bed with me. Frankly, I'm glad. I missed her
and I worried about her so much that I had trouble sleeping myself. So I'm
again!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I don't know when exactly we gave ds a pillow - but he's only 14 months old and has been using one for awhile - even in his crib (not that he sleeps there often, but anyway...). He too, wanted one and seemed to sleep much better (and longer) when he had one. In bed with us, he does the same thing your dd does. I asked the opinion of a co-worker whose opinion I trust and value and she said what I was basically thinking - as long the child is old enough/strong enough to lift his/her head out from under it if they need to, it should be ok. I also made sure that the one in ds's crib is wide (spans the width of his crib) and very flat - it eased my mind a bit.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I think it really depends on what type of pillow you have. I wouldn't use a big fluffy one. My daughters were around a year old when we let them have toddler pillows (flat, and small, like a travel pillow)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts