Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help! You gals are so resourceful, I thought I might ask here for ideas!

The dresser that I put baby's clothes in is unfinished pine. Now all of her clothes smell like a tree!!! I have no idea how to get the pine smell out of the drawers. They have been airing out in the sun and wind for 4 days now and they smell just the same. I tried wood soap today, and I don't think that has helped either.

I don't want the little lady to smell like a pine tree :(

Any ideas? People are saying dryer sheets and the such, but I really don't want to introduce harmful chemicals and scents into her wardrobe! Maybe some essential oil dropped on the wood? Anything but pine.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Have you considered just finishing the dresser with stain and polyurethane? That would definitely hide the pine scent. This of course would be a job for DH though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
baking soda in the drawers might help... I know it absorbs odors but I don't know if it would be strong enough. Otherwise if you can stick it in the hot garage for a few days to bake the smell out.

·
Registered
356 Posts
My husbands a cabinet maker, he said the pine scent should go away in a month or so...but fastest and best way would be to finish it with a water based (safer) polyurethane sealer or a low VOC paint. He said there are a few environmental/people safe(r) stains and finishes at home stores, but even those will have a scent for a few days. He made our dresser/changer and used a water based clear coat, but I kept it in the garage a few extra days to dry more and then put receiving blankets down before the clothes and stuff.

Still, pine is better than chemicals. That's why I liked the thread title, aww pine tree baby :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips ladies! The outside is painted... so I think we're gonna try painting the inside too and letting that air out for a while. I really like the idea of lavender sachets in the drawers and line them with receiving blankets or fabric.

I re-washed all of her clothes and they are temporarily stored in a laundry basket! Not my idea of clothes storage ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.