Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah yes, day 12 prodomal labor.

I was having some nice contractions but got stressed and stalled at 2 cm, 70% effaced. My midwife told me to not worry and relax. That was 12 days ago. I am still getting some real zinger contractions a few times a day. I did castor oil with my dd 4 years ago and do not want to repeat that experience. I was reading up on fresh pineapple and wondering if there way any truth to this old wives tale?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've heard that there's an enzyme in pineapple that helps with getting labor started. My midwife also claims that a similar labor-inducing enzyme can be found in under-ripe papaya.

I guess it couldn't hurt to just throw together a little tropical fruit salad and see what happens. :)

(Actually, given the heartburn I'm still dealing with, it could hurt me a lot, though I might be up for it in a few weeks if my heartburn improves and I'm still pregnant...)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I have eaten 3 entire pineapples this week alone. They're cheap and super delicious here. I'm still pregnant!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Ah yes, day 12 prodomal labor.

I was having some nice contractions but got stressed and stalled at 2 cm, 70% effaced. My midwife told me to not worry and relax. That was 12 days ago. I am still getting some real zinger contractions a few times a day. I did castor oil with my dd 4 years ago and do not want to repeat that experience. I was reading up on fresh pineapple and wondering if there way any truth to this old wives tale?
Pineapple did not work for me when I was overdue with my second born. It's delicious though and I highly recommend eating it anyway. ;-)

DDCC from August (I had a May baby in 2012) - have you talked to your midwife about evening primrose oil? I used it to help induce labor naturally with my last baby - bought the capsules from Trader Joes (1000mg each I think) and inserted 4 vaginally.
Also consider acupressure - along with the EPO, my hubs used his magic fingers on two different pressure points - massaging for a few minutes at a time over about an hr (while we watched movies and ate candy lol).

Also consider making it an event. If you really want to go into labor, get yourself in order, make a plan with your partner and turn it into a date night. Make your house comfy, get some snacks that you like and focus on creating a safe and relaxed space to let yourself slip into labor. Try to find a quiet space to reflect on any possible anxieties or unresolved fears you may be holding onto - sometimes these things can hold our bodies back.

I was pre-eclamptic and facing a hospital induction with my 3rd, so DH cleaned our house, I shopped, we put the kids to bed, and had labor-inducing date night. Snacks, sex, massage, laughing at our favorite comedies, swaying back and forth on my yoga ball..it was a nice way to close out the pregnancy. We started around 11pm - I went to bed at 2:30 or 3, woke up in full active labor at 4:30am. Baby was born at 7:53am.

Good luck to you! I hope you have a safe and healthy labor and delivery and find a way to get yourself in a peaceful relaxed place. My second born was 11 days "overdue" so I know waiting for babies is HARD. :) Especially when prodromal labor is involved.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been using EPO by mouth since 35 weeks and vaginally since 37. Still no go. Cervix is soft and very effaced I just wish the contractions would ramp up. I am not "due" until Monday but the added stress of this one again, off again labor is starting to get a bit grating.

Pineapple did not work for me when I was overdue with my second born. It's delicious though and I highly recommend eating it anyway. ;-)

DDCC from August (I had a May baby in 2012) - have you talked to your midwife about evening primrose oil? I used it to help induce labor naturally with my last baby - bought the capsules from Trader Joes (1000mg each I think) and inserted 4 vaginally.
Also consider acupressure - along with the EPO, my hubs used his magic fingers on two different pressure points - massaging for a few minutes at a time over about an hr (while we watched movies and ate candy lol).

Also consider making it an event. If you really want to go into labor, get yourself in order, make a plan with your partner and turn it into a date night. Make your house comfy, get some snacks that you like and focus on creating a safe and relaxed space to let yourself slip into labor. Try to find a quiet space to reflect on any possible anxieties or unresolved fears you may be holding onto - sometimes these things can hold our bodies back.

I was pre-eclamptic and facing a hospital induction with my 3rd, so DH cleaned our house, I shopped, we put the kids to bed, and had labor-inducing date night. Snacks, sex, massage, laughing at our favorite comedies, swaying back and forth on my yoga ball..it was a nice way to close out the pregnancy. We started around 11pm - I went to bed at 2:30 or 3, woke up in full active labor at 4:30am. Baby was born at 7:53am.

Good luck to you! I hope you have a safe and healthy labor and delivery and find a way to get yourself in a peaceful relaxed place. My second born was 11 days "overdue" so I know waiting for babies is HARD. :) Especially when prodromal labor is involved.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I would throw out that EPO seems to be a bit contraindicated. I've seen information linking it to hemorrhaging lately (and, having worried hemorrhaging that nearly led to a hospital transfer after a beautiful homebirth), it's not something I'm willing to try ever again. Even being 41+2.

I do think there are many, many things you can do to encourage labor. But short of severe medical interventions, there is no real way to induce labor naturally. If baby is not ready, baby simply is not ready. Setting up ideal conditions (comfortable, peaceful space, RRL tea, prostaglandins, a good cry to clear out your emotional baggage, etc) can certainly help to encourage labor. But it won't do a thing if you're simply not ready.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Abra, I am jealous of your fresh pineapples! I spent a month in the Dominican Republic as a teenager and LOVED the fresh pineapples there, and avacados etc... SO YUMMY!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts