Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Ds is really interested in pirates right now, and I am on the look out for things that might help him explore the topic. I was never really interested in pirates before but I must admit he has sparked my interest as well. I thought I would see if any one here might have some suggestions for us.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairy4tmama
Ok Ds is really interested in pirates right now, and I am on the look out for things that might help him explore the topic. I was never really interested in pirates before but I must admit he has sparked my interest as well. I thought I would see if any one here might have some suggestions for us.
For one thing, I've been seeing pirate displays - I mean displays of pirate books of all kinds - in lots of bookstores right now because of the Depp movie - you might take a look there.
Lillian

·
Registered
727 Posts
My 10yo is very into pirates right now,although he's probably on a different level than you little one!
We recently bought Sid Meye's Pirates pc game and he loves it.

How about making treasure maps of your backyard or a room and following a trail to X marks the spot?
I saw that Oriental Trading has a treasure chest craft, maybe you can try to find a way to make your own?
Backyardigans had an episode where they were pirates, possibly keep an eye out for that?
Make or buy a pair of binoculars or a telescope to play with.
Of course check out the book stores(I've seen lots of pirate displays) and the library for some good books on pirate adventures.

Have fun!

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3momkmb
DD informed me there is now a Pirateology book!

We own it, it was a natural since we have Dragonology, Egyptology and Wizardology! I haven't read it yet, my dd picked it up when she found it on sale. I should pull it out tonight and look it over, it is a gift for my son and he is gone on an overnight so I don't have to worry about getting caught.

·
Registered
593 Posts
My son's gaga over the new Pirateology book. The entire series is absolutely wonderful.

A site we both enjoy is Billy Bones' Pirate Locker. It has tons of pirate "stuff." It also includes a great page of pirate books called Billy Bones' Library - really thorough. The books are grouped in categories - books written by pirates, books about female pirates, biography, pirate fiction, comic books, etc.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
my dd has beencrazy about pirates for a couple years. go to any large book store and you will find a gazillion books on pirates. costumes for pretend play. playmobile, little people, lego, and some others all have some fun pirate play sets.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
There recently was also many educational shows on National Geo channel and The History Channel about pirates. I have an almost 7 yr old ds that spends his days drawing pirates, ships, treasures etc. He and my 9 yr old dd have been working on their own story, illustrations and all.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much for all the links and ideas. I was much in need of some quick ideas to share with ds. Right now we have afamily of 6 living with us, so thing are a bit chaotic and unfourtunatly I just didn't have time to reseach from scratch
:.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts