Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are making our first trip to Pittsburgh later this month for scouting relocation.
On paper and websites, Mt. Lebanon has the best schools in the area and perhaps even the state. Housing is reasonable or luxurious. The main library has wonderful family and kid's programs just as we are used to. The city government website talks about free concerts and such, just as I'd like it to. Crime seems to under control. And only 6 miles to downtown.
So, is it a soggy, voted for the shrub spot or could a half-crunchy agnostic Libertarian live there? Any feedback greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I don't have any first-hand experience of living there, but when I've driven through at/near election time the yards were awash with signs for W.
But it is a very pretty area with pretty houses. And there's a UU church, there must be a few liberals!

Jen

·
Registered
10 Posts
We used to live there, and I have several crunchy friends there. Great parks, library, business district. Definitely higher socioeconomic class and possible stuffiness that comes with it. We couldn't handle it but you might be able to. You can definitely find some ap friends though, especially if you go to LLL.
The school districts are award-winning, but heroin is a HUGE issue at the high school...kids have lots of money, etc. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I think there are some drugs everywhere. I went to a ritzy beach last summer and found remnants of drug paraphenalia on the beach. I honestly didn't know what I was looking at but a good friend of mine seem to think it was "meth" related.

I'll be coming to town next week and see for myself how I feel about the place. I'll get chatty with the librarians and the coffee shop folks and hang out at the parks.

We are very spoiled here living in a intown affluent neighborhood close to museums, parks and shops. Hoping to find something simliar in your area, with great schools.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't live in Mt. Lebanon, but have driven through it. I live about 5 miles outside of downtown Pittsburgh. ML is a beautiful area. I don't know about the crime. I am originally from a very small farm town in Indiana. The most heinous crime I knew growing up was tipping the dumpsters over at the school on halloween! It was a culture shock moving here.

Anyway, I like this area. I'm doing my best to reach out and touch some of these mamas here with the AP wand.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I live in Crafton, not too far from Mt. Lebanon. I second JenP's mention of the W signs around election time. I wasn't too surprised to see them in that area. Definitely beautiful houses and great library. I'm sure there are bound to be a couple of AP types around. If not, you can always run across town to get together with people (like I tend to do). I'm not sure about the school systems in Squirrell Hill and Shadyside type areas, but the Eastern areas are much closer to the museums and such. I work at the Natural History Museum and make a quick, easy commute across town. Not sure if you're looking for walkable or just not too far by car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.