·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>*</p>

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
I haven't done PRT with DD, but I have heard good things from others who have. It's a type of ABA. PRT can be done by anyone in the child's life from a parent to an educator. On one of the autism boards I'm on, another mom said this about PRT<br><br>
"PRT doesn't have a reward mentality. You work with whatever motivates the<br>
child. PRT is all about getting inside that motivation to get the child to initiate interactions on their own.<br>
It all started with Robert Koegel trying to isolate what was different about<br>
the kids with autism who made the most progress. He determined that<br>
learning to initiate with language was pivotal. So that's the "pivotal" in<br>
Pivotal Response Treatment.<br>
The most important thing I learned: stop doing things for him. I became a<br>
bump on a log, or at best, I was like dragging an anchor. It was frustrating<br>
at first for my son, but he quickly learned that I had suffered a regression<br>
and needed his prompting for nearly everything.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
off topic, but... Can you get support for <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relationship_Development_Intervention" target="_blank">RDI</a> where you are?

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">off topic, but... Can you get support for RDI where you are?</td>
</tr></table></div>
<br>
Unfortunately no, not yet anyway.<br><br><br>
Thanks for info BookGoddess. I think we will go through the process for funding. It is clear ds needs more than he is getting ATM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts