Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone participate?

How do you feel about it in general?

We are doing it this year. While I have my reservations, Dalton is really enjoying it! Reading is her weakest subject. So her by setting a goal for herself, then reaching that goal, it is really helping her self confidence.

I know she should want to read herself, and not neccisarily (spelled that wrong, no wonder she can't read
) be rewarded for it. But her interest needs encouragment, and this is working for us right now.

And besides, we like Pizza Hut pizza
Win/Win for us, lol

Thoughts??

· Premium Member
11,469 Posts
Have you read Alfie Kohn's Punished by Rewards? There are studies showing that rewarding a behavior that was occuring sometimes will cause it to occur more frequently *when the reward is given*, but pretty much extinguish it when there's no reward offered.

It seems that you're trying to use the program thoughtfully, and that's a good thing. Still, I wouldn't be comfortable with it, and with the implications it has about reading.

Dar
****edited to fix typos, as usual...

· Premium Member
42,430 Posts
We don't homeschool, so this may be irrelevant to you, but my dd did it in Grade 1 or 2, and while she always reached her goal (and usually way exceeded it), we never used the coupons. I read the fine print, and it's buy one get one (only one) free, one coupon per month, and they expire. I consider it a rip off/con to just get people to Pizza Hut. It would have been better if she could have just gotten her pizza and come home, for instance.

· Registered
268 Posts
My dd is doing BookIt. She sets her own goals. She reads regardless of what her goal is and, in fact, does not mention reading to meet her goal.

There is no fine print about getting the pizza. You go in, give the "coupon", get the pizza. She also gets a sticker type object stuck on a card for each month.

I do not feel I am forcing her in any way. I do not feel I am training her to work for rewards. I do not feel I am falling prey to Pizza Hut advertising. DD does not go to school, so she is not exposed to all the advertising that goes on there.

We like Book It.

· Registered
3,889 Posts
I was just talking about this with some friends.
Ds goes to Catholic School and participates. He got this month's coupon...I had to go look at it Irishmommy! Maybe they vary by state/country. I do see an expiration date and a line stating only the child who's name is on the ticket can get the pizza, and they can only use one a month. Which shoots down my idea of saving them and getting one for all of us!
:
Anyhow, Ds' school requires the kids to do a book report a month.....so this is just like an added bonus, kwim? And since the closest Pizza Hut is like 30 minutes away it is doubtful we will use the tickets for one tiny pizza.
Thanks Ali for the link, someone I know was looking for it!

· Registered
647 Posts
Quote:
Have you read Alfie Kohn's Punished by Rewards? There are studies showing that rewarding a behavior that was occuring sometimes will cause it to occur more frequently *when the reward is given*, but pretty much extinguish it when there's no reward offered.

We experienced this with my dd7 this past summer. She goes to school by choice (ds9 homeschools). She was happily reading just about daily until her teacher sent her a "summer reading challenge" to complete 25 books by the time school started. If she completed the challenge, she would get to go to a skating party. I told her about the challenge (reluctantly, but felt I had to because she would be left out of the skating party if she didn't do the challenge and might be upset that I had kept information from her), and she decided to do it, BUT she began to resent reading. It became a chore for her to complete. Once she finished the 25 books, she didn't read another book all summer!

She just started reading for pleasure again a couple of weeks ago. Even though it's a requirement at school to have her read to me for 20 minutes a night, I never require her to do it (or any other homework for that matter), and she now loves to read again.

If your daughter is genuinely choosing to do the Pizza Hut reading program herself, and is enjoying it - why not? But using Pizza Hut as rewards for her as extrinsic motivation really could damage her love for reading.

My 2cents

Laura

· Registered
60 Posts
I signed up for this program in our first year of hsing (2 years ago, the year I was signing up for everything, lol.) I found it just kind of pointless. Ds was a strong reader already, his reaction to it was to find out exactly how little he could do to get a coupon, it actually discouraged his reading
, I finally dropped the reading list requirement and just used them as general encouragement kind of things (like, "thanks for cleaning your room without me asking", etc.) Even at that we rarely used them. The Pizza Hut at the movie theater we go to wouldn't take them. The closest Pizza hut besides that one closed down, and the pizza was very small, my son always wanted to get something else while we were there (and it ain't cheap.) They sent me so many coupons (100), I gave most of them away to other hsing families, and to my sister who's a resource teacher. She works mostly with remedial reading, and she didn't find them very useful either. Her kids did the same thing mine did, tried to find the bare minimum of work to do, to earn the reward, and a few, like my son, actually read less.

I'm sure there are families for whom this program was very usefull. My son is not the kind of kid who can be externally motivated (not necessarily a good thing, if he doesn't want to do something, there's not much I can do to get him to do it
)

Allison

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.