Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for expert advice!<br>
so my mw called us yesterday to say that apparently she didnt get enough blood on the card for the lab to do the metabolic screening tests. dd is 3 weeks old now- do you think we should redo the test?<br><br>
this is the ONE test that i felt was important- we didnt do any other newborn procedures and we don't vax.<br><br>
however now that she is 3 weeks old, would she be showing sings of these disorders if she had them? or no?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I don't think that she (you had a daughter! congrats, congrats, congrats!) would necessarily show signs of congential hypothyroidism, which is the one that Ivan tested out of normal range for.<br><br>
We opted for a blood draw instead of another carded sample because of the time delays.<br><br>
Hope that helps you! And I am so very happy for you!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Ours was done at 2+ weeks and again at 3+ weeks. My daughter had a low level of carnitine on both due to my veg diet (an amino acid found in meat). There still are things that will not present themselves by 3 weeks...depending on what your state tests for. Every state runs diferent tests.

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
I feel like if you felt as if it was important the first time, it probably still is important. Not everything shows up by this age, but it's your call. The diseases are all pretty rare, but only you know how comfortable you are with the rates of occurrence.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks!<br><br>
eta- hi onlyboys!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts