Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're reasonably sure that we're totally done having kids, and DH is planning on getting a V sometime soon (we haven't looked into how much it will be yet), but I was going through all of our options and was thinking again about getting a Mirena IUD.

It was almost exactly a year ago that I had been originally contemplating it, then DS3 surprised us, so obviously no IUD.

Anyway, I usually go anovulatory (sp?) for around a year or so while breastfeeding my babes and it seems like it might be better to just let my body do it's own thing and not have to deal with cycling till it's ready.
But of course then you have the possibility of a pre-PP AF pregnancy surprise.

I'd really like to be able to DTD without having to worry about what if's, and neither of us particularly likes condoms (not doing spermicides either).

Too bad there's not an on/off switch to our fertility!

Opinions anyone?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Maybe you could compromise and wait 6 months? I'm pretty sure that's when the LAM loses it's effectiveness?

I'm not a fan of IUDs. My mom had the copper one in place when she got pregnant with me and I had one placed after DS that perforated my uterus and ended up in surgery. The OB who did the surgery noted that placing it so soon after birth (I was 8 weeks pp) made it risky to get into place because the uterus is still soft. Also having a tilted uterus statistically leads to problems. I wasn't even aware I had a tilted uterus until then.

So waiting that long may mean that your uterus is "tough enough" to take it and you'll get to benefit from 6 months of LAM.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I too would wait at least 6 months. I believe mirena didn't work for me because it was placed 6 weeks after birth. I should've let my body heal some before exposing it to all the chemicals and the insertion process. It really hurt for me because my uterus was still floppy. And it came out after all that trouble. UGH.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.