Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am planning on UC. (And happy as H*** about it!) I have a slightly higher risk of hemorrhage than most people, so I am definitely considering eating at least some of the placenta. My questions here are- has anyone who is a vegitarian, and has tummy problems with meat (it's been a very long time for me!), eaten their placenta? Did it give you trouble? And what are everyone's thoughts on which method is more effective- tucking it in your cheek or actually consuming it?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't have an answer for you, but I'd love to hear what others have to say about this. Hopefully someone else can weigh in on this.

I've been vegan for over 5 years, and I gave eating some of the placenta a *lot* of thought with my last pregnancy. I ended up not doing it. This time around (I'm 34 weeks) I'm still thinking about it. It doesn't go against my beliefs or anything (I feel that the placenta is a part of me, and I'd like to return it to my body) but I just don't know if I can eat what is essentially *meat*. My concern, like your own, is that it would make me sick, perhaps even vomit and diarrhea sick. I don't need that right after I give birth.

However, if I thought I was losing too much blood, I wouldn't think twice about it. My vegan husband would probably be throwing up in the corner though.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I ate a bit of mine with dd2, and I've been vegtarian (not vegan) for almost 12 years. I experienced no tummy troubles at all, and I did shove some in my mouth and swallowed soon after the placenta came out. It was kind of ooky because it was warm.... but nothing that made me want to vomit. My vegetarian DP had no troubles handling and cutting my placenta, either.

Good luck!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not that I was concerned with feeling nauseous at the thought, or anything like that. I am not grossed out by doing it, I just don't want my body to rebel. It hasn't digested anything like that in a very long time. The few times I have been exposed to actual 'meat', I knew because of how sick I got... like food poisoning symptoms.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I'm a vegetarian, and that's my only worry about eating the placenta also. One time I accidentally ate a piece of pepperoni and I threw up all over the place!

ETA: I've also heard it works well if you just cut off a small piece and place it between your lip and gum, like nicorette... maybe that won't have such a harsh effect on your metabolism?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Maybe since nothing had to die in order for you to eat it it would make your tummy feel better? I'm not a vegetarian (though I sympathise greatly!) nor have I ever eaten my placenta! I would for hemorhage in a second and I was reading the placenta eating thread and I think it's awesome about helping with ppd. I've had minor ppd the last 3 births (I think a lot had to do with the actual births) so I'm thinking about it though it does sound gross!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm a vegetarian and didn't have any problems/ill effects from eating my placenta.

As a student midwife, I was with a vegan who ate some of her placenta--she didn't have any problems, either. She ate hers after she'd hemorrhaged. The placenta helped her bounce back very well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.