Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry for gory title but i do't know the proper term for when you have your palcenta removed by the doctor manually after you give birth.

all i know it that it has happened to me twice and there is nothing on earth i fear more than to have it happen a third. both my two kids were born in hospital. for the first delivery, i was completely taken in by the medical community and all their 'advice'
. it was terrible. epidural, forceps, episiotomy, placenta dug out by butch 6'2" doctor and worst of all, a premature (33 weeks) baby in NICU for 2 weeks.

the second time round, i was smarter. i waited slyly at home till it was pretty far along. the doctor wasn't even present for the birth of my daughter. the nurses were easier to bully and kept out of my way, mainly. i has gas, a stitch to repair the episiotomy wound and i managed to do give birth kneeling and leaning against the headboard. unfortunately, my daughter ended up in NICU too and we had a repeat of the doctor digging around inside me to remove the placenta. (she was five weeks early.)

i am 20 weeks pregnant now and cannot bear the thought of another hospital birth. but my propensity to go into labour early is a big issue...surely it'll be dangerous to have a UC? I'd consider a HB but in Malaysia, midwives are not recognised and hence can be charged in court for assisting a birth. my thought was to pretend not to get to hospital in time at all...

so:

how do i prevent premature labour?
can i have a UC if the baby is early or it is too risky?
what are the chances of retaining the placenta again?
both my babies were over 3kgs, and the obstetrician was shocked that they ended up in NICU. what are your thoughts?

and here's a little info to clarify the situation as healthcare here is different from the states. we pay for EVERYTHING. pre-natal care, birth, NICU...it was expensive both times. and i worry that the hospital may be extra willing to heap on the 'services' because my husband is caucasian (i am chinese) and they assume he is an expatriate and wealthy. (those who understand expats in asia will understand what i mean).

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
An other expat mama living in Asia here

I had an okay hospital birth with my first and a midwife (illegally) with my second birth. I will do a UC for my third birth. I understand how they charge for everything and up the price for expats. So annoying!

There are more knowledgeable moms here to answer your questions, but I think you've come to a good place here at MDC! Possibly the reason your baby was over 3kg and the docs were surprised could be because your husband is caucasion, so the babies were bigger than normal for asians. I would think that nutrition could solve some of those issues. More protein, supplements, etc..

Check out the unassisted birth forum.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Thailand. A nurse-midwife from Australia was living here. She was willing to happen to be there "when the baby falls out." We wrote up a business contract for "services" but didn't say what her services were. Then we wrote up a "letter of indemnity" saying we didn't hold her legally liable should anything go wrong. She's no longer here, so we'd rather UC than go back to a hospital.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I would definately check out the unassisted forum. They are very knowledgeable over there and they should be able to help you. I know some placentas just take their time about coming out. The drs don't want to be patient and wait. There are herbs you can take to help it out too. I hope you have find care that will work for you this time, and your birth goes well. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you. i was hoping i'd have a bit more input regarding the placenta by now. will try re porting in the UC forum and see what i get.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Did you have an injection to "help" deliver the placenta? If not, then how long did they wait before manually removing the placenta?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.