Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a hospital birth & want to bring home my placenta. When I had Alexa it was a huge deal & I could not bring home my placenta, because I asked to late (it was already in formaldehyde to prep for pathology). I plan on asking for my placenta this time in my birth plan & want to quote a state or federal statute on it (if I can). Anyone have link to info on placenta rights??? TIA

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
I tried to google it, and didn't find much, expect in Hawaii they made it legal for families to keep the placenta for religous reasons:

http://www.womensenews.org/article.c...ontext/archive

I think if you put it in your birth plan, and state it for religous reasons, they might let you have it, if you are going to the hospital.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
Put it in your birth plan. Let your midwife know while you're still pregnant. Have your dh or doula remind the midwife while you're at the hospital.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Yes, talk to your midwife and put it in your birthplan.
DS was born in a hospital (in GA) and I took the placenta home. Actually, my friend took it home, I gave it to her.
I discussed it with my MW ahead of time and she said that it wouldn't be a problem and if anybody gave me any grief about it to just say it was for religious reasons.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
This sparks my curiosity. What exactly does the hospital do with the placenta after birth????

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by adoremybabe View Post
This sparks my curiosity. What exactly does the hospital do with the placenta after birth????
They believe it is medical and hazordous waste and send it into the inferno with the rest of the waste.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I think that I'll ask my doctor at my next appt. I don't have any interest in keep my placenta. I'd just like to know what happens to it.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I'm not sure if there are any laws on it (and it would depend on what state you are in), but AFAIK it's yours to do what you want with. You just have to speak up and often that you want it because they are so in the pattern of disposing of them. I think there are certain religions that require their placentas to be buried. And if that's so, then they really can't deny folks their placentas without getting into a big legal/discrimination mess.

I would definitely mention it to your care providers and put it in your birth plan. And I would also call the hospital to ask them what their policy is on that sort of thing just to get an idea of if you'll even need to fight for this. I told my MW and doula and wrote it in our birth plan and it was no problem to bring ours home (I'm in CA). The only thing that might be an issue is if you have a c/s. Not sure, but I think I remember reading somewhere that with the anesthesia and all they have to treat it as medical waste. Don't quote me on that though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.