Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I orig posted this in I'm Pregnant but did not get much of a response. Can anyone her help me???

I am having a hospital birth & want to bring home my placenta. When I had Alexa it was a huge deal & I could not bring home my placenta, because I asked to late (it was already in formaldehyde to prep for pathology). I plan on asking for my placenta this time in my birth plan & want to quote a state or federal statute on it (if I can). Anyone have link to info on placenta rights??? TIA

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
it's YOUR placenta (well, your baby's).

they may make you sign some silly sheet about how it's biohazard and you promise not to be swinging it around in the town square, but push the issue. talk to your provider prenatally about it. make sure he/she is on board. that way, at the birth, you or your partner can remind him/her.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
One of the hospitals around here will not release the placenta. Something about it being a body part and biohazard. They also won't give you gallstones, amputations, etc.

I think in theory you have every right to it, but I would definitely discuss it beforehand and get something in writing from your HCP before you get to the hospital and find out too late you are going to have problems.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
At the birth centers I've worked at we always ask the mama if she wants to keep the placenta. I've also been involved in hospital births where the mama was able to take it home so its not out of the realm of possibility. Not sure about any statutes that exist.

ITA, talk about it prenatally w/ your practitioner and put it in your birth plan.

IIRC a lot of hospitals actually sell placentas.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Several moms I've worked with (I'm a doula) wanted to keep their placentas, and it was never a problem at the area hospitals in question. I know a pp said one hospital refused; maybe my clients weren't at theat same hospital. Definitely put it in your birth plan, remind the L&D nurses that are working with you, and perhaps ask your husband or other support person to remind your caregiver after the birth, since you may have other things on your mind.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I attended a transport where the dh spent the entire labor basically obsessing over taking the placenta home. The hospital was adamant that they would be keeping it. He went so far as to get a lawyer who informed him that she has a right to it as a part of her body or something like that. The hospital claims it has to go to pathology and that it is a biohazard. Finally a sympathetic nurse offered to liberate it from pathology for them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I gave birth in a hospital on 1/27 and was able to bring our placenta home with no headaches or problems. They told us to bring a container for it and that we would have to remove it from the building soon after the birth [since it was considered biohazardous and it was not in the biohazard bag/container]. My DH took it out to our car after we moved out of the birthing room. The nurses were pretty funny and offered to make it a little ice pack but then remembered that it was only 7 degrees outside so it probably wasn't necessary!

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I also had no problems taking mine home.

What state are you in?

I don't get the biohazard logic. I have poop and blood and all sorts of good stuff in me to access for whatever nefarious uses I could conjure. I certainly don't need my placenta to spread disease thank you very much. I need my placenta for health and spiritual reasons.

Just a thought, if you aren't planning on eating it (or even if you are) maybe you could insist on lotus birth stating religious reasons. That's very hard to argue with.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena View Post
Finally a sympathetic nurse offered to liberate it from pathology for them.
You might have to find a helper in the system. Maybe talking beforehand to a hospital admministrator? Crazy, these "rules."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.