Mothering Forum banner
81 - 98 of 98 Posts

· Registered
4,975 Posts
Exactly!

We had a "Placenta Planting Ceremony" with Dylan's and MIL was surprisingly well-behaved. She already thinks I am nuts, so it will just reinforce her beleif when I either
A. Send her a picture of the baby with the cord and placenta still attached
or
B. Ask her for her favorite stir-fry recipe and tell her I will use it when we eat the placenta!

· Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I like the idea of a tinture. I am very sure I could handle that. I am not a raw meat person, and if it is like j-ello OH, not so sure I could handle that. Although I am tempted to try and make a hunk of it into the "Placenta roast" for myself. Or maybe a stew like thing?
I ahve been a bit worried about PPD this time around. I am pretty sure that was my problem with my third one. (I have been reading over a journal I wrote) I don't want that to happen ever again.
I was alos wondering, this may sound weird, but what if anything did it do for your labito? While I am pregnant I really love sex a lot. But after birth I am a non-sexual being for sometimes up to a year. Occationally I will have sex with my dh just out of guilt because it has been like 4 months. Do the hormone levels in the placenta help with that? Anyone know?
Also back to the tinture, how long can the main bottle of water, placenta essence and alcohol? If all you need is 7 drops, it seems like it would go bad before you need to make another bottle. How much water do you need to make the first "tea"?

Thanks

H

· Registered
1,621 Posts
mamaofthree,
I HOPE that taking placenta tincture could help with libido. After a baby I find myself in the exact situation as you- and it SUCKS!

I think that tinctures keep for a loooong time, if they are in a dark bottle or place. The alcohol preserves them.
As far as water for the beginning, it says to make sure the piece of placenta is covered. I've never made it, so it'll be an experiment for me.

I'll let you know sometime after next january!

· Registered
929 Posts
an ice chest full of ice with the placenta in a few ziplocs with sliders could go a long way if you are not birthing at home.

i dunno about libido. i think the whole point with not feeling so sexy is so that you don't procreate so quickly, and especially if you are nursing.

· Registered
3,996 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Persephone
I don't think hospitals let you keep it. They consider it a "biohazard". Doesn't that sound like toxic waste? How depressing. :p
The hospitals absolutely let you keep it. It is illegal for them to not let you keep it.

· Registered
486 Posts
It's very good for PPD. I have not eaten mine, but I know someone who swallowed a dime sized peice to help with heavy bleeding after childbirth.
I'm not against doing that.

I think feeding formula is grosser than this is, actually.

· Registered
8,846 Posts
every time I started getting moody after DD2 was born, DH would ask me if I'd eaten any placenta that day

I'll say it again, and again if I have to.
After my first was born, I had pretty bad depression and trauma and my milk didn't come in for *six* days! Yeah, that's mostly because of the nature of her birth, but if eating the placenta might mean that wouldn't happen again after my second DD was born, it wouldn't matter to me how gross I thought it was, I was going to give it a try. (It wasn't gross at all though, not near as bad as brussel sprouts IMO)
FWIW, my milk came in on day two and I never had anything remotely resembling ppd. I only had red lochia for one or two days, too. that may or may not be due to eating the placenta, but I think it really helped me in so many ways. Every time I ate a little of it, I immediately felt energized, more healthy, clear-headed, and better able to handle being a mom to a new baby. That in contrast to feeling totally overwhelmed and unable to cope after DD1 was born.

· Registered
3,160 Posts
I worked as a mother/baby nurse for 4 yrs and I think the hospital has to let you keep the placenta if you ask to. You may have to wait until sfter it hasbeen inspected.
Also, you may have to claim it is for a religious ceremony.? I am not sure. I have helped several pagan women with the ceremony of eating it afterwards at the hospital in our town...... but I am not sure what you would have to say to be allowed to take it home in your individual hospitals. I just know that you should be able to.
Hopefully everyone will be able to homebirth and then it won't be a problem.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.