Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH and I used to do a lot of hiking, but we have never really explored the opportunities after we moved her a few years ago . . .Does anyone know of any good places to go (with a 9 month old) within an hour of the lansing area?<br>
We have been to Birchfield many times but are looking to explore a little.<br><br>
Also if any other moms are interested in hiking/trail walking, let me know!

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Have you been to Waterloo in Chelsea? The park is huge. It's my fav, because I went to MUCC (Michigan United Conservation Club) camp there when I was a kid! I love the Bog Walk.<br><br><a href="http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/ParksandTrailsInfo.aspx?id=506" target="_blank">http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandt...fo.aspx?id=506</a>

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Woldumar Nature Center offers numerous outreach and on-site environmental education programs for children as well as adults. Woldumar has more than 5 miles of trails on 188 acres of woodland, prairie, river-side and pine forest. Situated along the Grand River with 1.25 miles of shoreline, Woldumar represents one of the most diverse ecosystems in the region. The Woldumar Nature Center is situated on the former Ransom E. Olds dairy farm.<br><br>
It is on Old Lansing rd just west of Waverly

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I second the merits of Waterloo Park. There is camping at the (drive-up) camp grounds and also along some of the trails for the more adventuerous. The trails feature hiking and biking. It also features several connected lakes for some nice paddling if you're into kayaking/canoing.<br><br>
In Lansing, there is also Fenner Nature Center. It's located on the corner of Mt Hope and Clemens. There are nice (easy) trails to walk with prairie, woodland, and some small ponds. Fenner also holds annual events like the maple syrup and apple festivals, which have lots of activities for families. If you're into geocaching, there are a few caches in the Fenner park too...we took Liam geocaching at Fenner when he was just a couple months old.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts