Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My flock of 26 has mites. They are definitely in the coop, and on at least a couple of the birds. They are the type that live in feathers.<br><br>
I'd like feedback on my plan of action...And i'd really rather not use poison, but I will if I need to. Also, I am planning on this taking an entire day... is that about accurate of a time commitment?<br><br>
I'm thinking I need to clan out the coop (I use deep litter method), then scrub with water, neem oil and Dr Bronners Peppermint. Let the coop dry and put in new pine shavings. (the coop is raw wood, will paint help kill/ keep mites out? I can paint the inside/ outside)<br><br>
For the birds, a nice dusting of DE or a neem and Dr Bronners bath and blowdry?<br><br>
Also, what should I do about the chicken yard....a fairly large (15x40) grass and dirt area...also, they do tend to range around the rest of the yard as well. Suggestions?<br><br>
How about for preventing mites in the future?<br><br>
Lastly, I typically put used shavings into the compost...will I infest my yard with mites if I do so? (I would assume the heat from the compost will kill them, but I don't want them jumping away and infesting before they die...the compost is a large aerated black plastic box.<br><br>
Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
You might want to check out backyard chickens for some more info. I would clean it all out, personally wouldn't worry about painting, and just use DE in the coops, on the chickens (carefully so no one breathes it in), and all over the chicken yard, and esp. where they take their dust baths.<br><br>
HTH.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts