Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking my nephew out of school to LEARN something (ha!) in DC next Friday. Are there any happenings that anyone knows about that I can take him to there? He's 13yo, into politics, and this is his birthday present

do you know any congressmen/women that'll be in office that day? any tours? anything that a 13yo would be into that day?

Next Friday, May 1st

Thanks!

·
Registered
719 Posts
what a cool auntie! we almost always hit up the zoo n the mall. the holocost musuem is really well done (and free) but may not be approp for 13 yr old. I would call ahead to see about reps or congresspersons being around, just so there's no surprises. have fun.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Forgot to mention- I'd use the metro! My lil bro is also 13, and we let him be the boss of finding the closest stops and such (you can suggest closer ones if need be, lol!) on the M. I'm not in DC nearly as much as I'd like (don't even get me started on philly and NYC!)

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Just one day?

Take the Metro - car parking will cost and arm and a leg, if you can find it.

I would do the Smithsonian Museums (Air and Space or American History) + lunch at a Smithsonian Cafeteria + walking tour of "the Mall". Then the metro back to your car.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The Capitol Visitor Center is now open: http://www.visitthecapitol.gov/

You can see if you can book a tour of the Capitol. The Center itself has exhibit space & a place to eat & gift shop. (Might be fun to say "I had lunch at the Capitol for my birthday!") Also not a long walk to the Air & Space Museum, etc, from the Capitol.

Have fun! What a great bday gift!

·
Registered
237 Posts
my DS loved the international spy musem a few years ago when he was about 13:

http://www.spymuseum.org/

also, we haven't done this yet but i always see them around town (i work in DC) and we want to try b/c it looks like a lot of fun if the weather's nice:

http://www.capitalsegway.com/

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
we'll have my 2 and 5 yo with us as well, so the Metro will be perfect! thanks for all the links!

it IS a better gift than a video game or whatever else junk we'd of gotten him...I'm all for experiential gifts
although sometimes it can backfire - took my niece to see Britney Spears... she's not nearly as talented as Madonna, but a crude replication, definitely...

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
This is almost a funny question because there is SO MUCH to do, I think your only problem will be limiting yourself to one day!

My son is quite a bit younger than yours and we spend tons of time going in the monuments and museums. The capitol visitors center and tour is great (be forewarned- no food or drink allowed in at all, so if you have a bag or backpack they'll make you throw out any food.) They have a great restaurant there.

The Air and Space museum, newseum, natural history, american history museums, and botanic gardens are all fun, free, and are all right there in the same area on the mall, and we really enjoy walking around the gardens out side the Smithsonian castle.

The Lincoln, Jefferson, FDR, and other memorials are within walking distance, too. You can also go up into the washington monument.

The zoo is also fun and free.

I agree with taking the metro, that can be a part of the trip too and you won't have to worry about parking hassles.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah I would also recommend the Zoo! Its free (except to park) and there are SO many animals to see. Have fun!!

·
Registered
746 Posts
For food on the mall, the best place is the cafeteria at the American Indian Museum. Much better than your run of the mill cafeteria food.

What is your nephew interested in? There's a museum to suit almost every interest.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahr View Post
For food on the mall, the best place is the cafeteria at the American Indian Museum. Much better than your run of the mill cafeteria food.
I so agree!! I went home and looked up recipes to create at home some of the dishes we had there -- something I've never done for a 'cafeteria' before! =) Yum!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.