Mothering Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>DS1 is now 35 months. We have had a pretty enjoyable nursing relationship, and he is VERY attached to nursies. He nursed every two hours well into the second year whenever he was with me (work part time), even overnight up until age 25 months. When I became pregnant at that time, I started to limit feedings. We successfully nightweaned, except for one waking between 4 and 5:30 am, and we got down to 3 times per day -- morning, afternoon (either at nap time or when I got back from work) and before bed. He happily dry nursed during pregnancy for 14 weeks, and then sipped on the little colostrum there was until baby was born.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Once baby came when he was 33 months, he upped his intake a bit here and there, but we eventually got back down to the 3 times per day. We had to completely night wean him for my sanity (kicked myself for not doing it before baby came). Tandem nursing has not really been enjoyable for me. I give DS1 three minutes max at each side (often only 1 minute), and have him let go. He has gotten used to these limits, thankfully, which has allowed me to keep my sanity. I'm glad that he has a sweet relationship with his brother so far, though of course we have our moments of jealousy when he wants me to hold him and not the baby. I'm not sure how much of the relationship might be helped by tandem nursing -- he is a sweet, sensitive boy in general.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>At one point during my pregnancy I completely weaned for 3 days (while dry nursing, was fed up). Then I felt bad, like he wasn't ready (he cried for it and earnestly asked when it would come back), and that we didn't really have a preparation period. So, started again. I have pretty much been ready to wean since then, and have just been doing it for his emotional well being. There were behavioral ramifications when I weaned those few days, and there always are when we work on nightweaning issues.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway, I have been talking to him about how when he turns 3, he will be too old to nurse. He is really an all or nothing kind of guy, and my plan has been to go from the 3 feedings he has per day to 0, overnight, when he turns 3. The reason is that there is always so much crying and drama involved in changing anything about the nursing relationship, that if I draw it out and make it "gradual", it will just be a long, miserable period for us behaviorally and emotionally. So, I'm planning on cold turkey, but with preparation. I keep talking to him about all the things he will do/get when he is 3 (a fire truck cake, ride a bicycle, etc.), and that he will not nurse anymore because he will be too "old" (I use language "old" so that he won't claim he really isn't too "big" for example, and so that he doesn't think there is an advantage to being "small" -- being older is undeniable and unchangeable).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, I have heard that cold turkey probably ISN'T the way to go, but feel like for us, it is our best option. I'm hoping that all the preparation will help it go better. He will have a birthday party with fun things he enjoys (i.e., music) and then that's it! Does anyone have experience with an approach like this? Any tips for making it go more smoothly?</p>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts