Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd cut down on nursings big time when my milk dried up. She chose to nurse only to sleep, once in a night and upon waking. Now, I am due in 4 weeks with another baby and she (33 months) is suddenly much more interested in nursing. My colostrum has been here for weeks and she was nursing more at night, maybe 4 times but now, she wants to nurse looong. She used to be finished in 5 minutes, now she wants to nurse for ever. The worst of all is that suddenly I don't like it. It is somehow uncomfortable and slightly painful. Sh also started all of a sudden touching my other breast with her hand and it is so annoying. The other thing is that she used to be comfortable sleeping in the same bed but now she wants to sleep on my head most of the time, or at least touch me.

I feel like it is in my head, that she is too big to nurse anymore. I have always believed in CLW and I still do but I am having a hard time now nursing her because all of a sudden, I feel like something is wrong with me for not being happy anymore about her nursing. I don't know if I am making any sense but this feels like I am getting ready to nurse my new baby and I perceive my toddler as an intruder into my new soon-to-be nursing relationship.

Has anyone had such problem? I am still letting dd have her NIAMS but I am feeling burnt out.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I felt this too. I think it is normal- your hormones that close to your due date are kind of off, and even without nursing, breasts are usually more sensitive towards the end of a pregnancy. I felt the same way. And it seemed like the closer it got, and the more painful it was for me, the more my little guy wanted to nurse. And I felt so bad because I had always loved nursing him before.
All I can say is that it does get better, and it is worth it. For me, the feelings of discomfort lasted until a few weeks after the baby was born, and then it was like everything just settled, and it was all okay. I hope you feel better about it soon, but remember that it will pass.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I never went into this pregnancy thinking about tandem... but my soon to turn 3.5 year old son has just not given up his "dee dees" - in fact last night, announced "Mommy, I just love dee dee!"

I swear I had colostrum at 30 weeks but nothing is coming out now - I am 35 weeks and thankfully he is just nursing at bedtime, sometimes in the morning and the very rare daytime (really upset or hurt) request.

Just this week he has been sleeping all through the night consistently (yeah... at 3.5!) so I've had some great night sleep and am feeling more rested and actually dealing with his periodic daytime requests for dee dee better.

I have no "solutions" or real suggestions, other than "this too shall pass" but I can definately offer hugs and support! I keep telling mysefl (as I count to 10 after he latches on) that I can handle to 10 and then pop him off. Lately, he's been ok wtih that short of a session or he'll request "another lil bit" and I'll do another count of 10.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blsilva View Post
I felt this too. I think it is normal- your hormones that close to your due date are kind of off, and even without nursing, breasts are usually more sensitive towards the end of a pregnancy. I felt the same way. And it seemed like the closer it got, and the more painful it was for me, the more my little guy wanted to nurse. And I felt so bad because I had always loved nursing him before.
All I can say is that it does get better, and it is worth it. For me, the feelings of discomfort lasted until a few weeks after the baby was born, and then it was like everything just settled, and it was all okay. I hope you feel better about it soon, but remember that it will pass.
This is how it's been with me too.

Hang in there mama.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
it's just the hormones. . . didn't go away for me until dd 2 was 3 months old! For me, the squeevishness was/is (dd2 is 5mo now) less when my nutrition, hydration, supplementation (b vitamins and efas), and probiotic status are all good. if what you typed is accurate and not abbreviated, then you are having fewer issues than any other tandem mama whose testimony i've read! we have a tandem tribe in the breastfeeding forum, c'mon over!

·
Registered
288 Posts
yeah, i remember feeling just wierd and violated - like my son was trying to arouse me... you can imagine the guilt i felt... but thanks to LLL i found i was normal.... its jokingly described as the nursing creepy crawlies..

but i found it was nice to tandem every once in a while, but try and save toddler nursing for the baby's nap.. YOu can also play it up so that your older baby feels really special that that is HER special time to nurse.

If your nipples are in pain you may want to have her pick a song, and at the end of that song(that you sing) you will be all done. And, depending on how old she is and what she understands - you may even want to expain your pain and how she could really help you by keeping it short; just make sure she doesn't feel at fault for you pain and discomfort.

To sum up - just make sure that she continues to get blocks of one on one time.... this really helps them see we are trying.

·
Registered
51,189 Posts
Oh, this was so hard for me to go through! I was deadset on CLW and tandem nursing through my whole pregnancy. But as soon as my milk disappeared I tried and tried but couldn't handle it anymore. It wasn't just the creepy crawlies, it was horrible feelings of very strong resentment and rage... like I wanted to throw ds off of me and get back at him for nursing all the time. I got a lot of support here even though I thought I'd be flamed for feeling like it was time to stop. Ds was only 17 months and I didn't want to encourage weaning. That was the last thing to ever enter my mind.. I thought I was a horrible horrible mother and was doing something wrong. The last time I nursed him when I was pg I got chills up and down my spine the entire session and so I bit down on a pillow to help control whatever it was that I was feeling. I looked at the pillow after the session and saw it was bloody! That's how hard I had been biting it!

The support and encouragement I got here and from my midwives led me to realize that it was not only my hormones but also my body telling me that I needed to stop/divert his attention from the nursing for whatever reason... almost like my body needed a rest before giving birth. It was pretty easy to divert him from nursing but it made me really sad. Once ds#2 was born I had so much milk so ds#1 ended up nursing again. I still got to tandem
. And he helped me from getting mastitis!!! It was so cute having each of my sons latched on at the same time. He nursed for about six more months and then developed a horribly lazy latch that left me bruised for a few weeks. He lost interest in nursing for some reason or another soon after.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to be the same case for the OP but I just wanted to offer my encouragement for anyone who may be reading and having as hard a time as I was. Sometimes you need to listen to your body despite what illusions your ideals may give you (or at least I did).

·
Registered
35 Posts
I tandem nursed on demand until dd#2 was a few weeks old. Then I limited DD #1 to 3 nursies a day - she was 2 and a half at the time. She happily nursed 2X a day with her sister and once "Just with mama". We did this until DD #1 weaned at almosy 6 years old. I too had some negative feelings toward the end of my pregnancy about nursing my older child. For me, part of it was feeling conflicted and stressed about parenting a second child in such an absolute way - attuned to every one of their needs. I realized I had to detach a little from DD#1 to balance the needs that DD#2 would have. I really spent time mourning the loss of being just one mama and one child together - while celebrating the new roles for both of us - mother of two, and big sister. Personally, after parenting in such a child-centred and attached way - I needed to think a lot about how to make room for a second child. This made it easier for me set some limits and enjoy the tandem nursing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts