Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my sister and I (and two kids) will be travelling to Kansas City this August to visit a cousin with a new baby! I was just looking for ideas of stuff to do or things to check out. We like the outdoors, natural wonders (of sorts!) and historical museums, etc. Or any crunchy stuff as well! I would love to hear your input on what you love about your city! My cousin lives in Overland Park. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
We are not from Kansas City but visited there in February.

My family loved Science City at Union Station.

My dd is still talking about the animals we saw at the Kansas City zoo. In February quite a bit was not open but we got to see kangaroos.

We enjoyed walking around outside the Nelson Atkins Art Museum and looking at the sculpture. Inside was not so succesful with dd.

Cave Spring nature center- the nature center was closed when we tried to go but there are trails too. http://www.cavespring.org/trails.html

Our favorite restuarants were probably non-crunchy. Fritz's Railroad Restaurant in the Crown Center- the food was delivered by trains so it was a lot of fun. Rainforest Cafe in Overland Park at the Oak Park Mall- it was kind of loud and dd is pretty noise sensitive but she still had a lot of fun.

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
KCK has this now

http://www.trexcafe.com/index.html

By the same guy who did Rainforest Cafe it had a Dinosaur theme. I must say...it is MORE loud than the Rainforest cafe.
:

It is a madhouse, but it just opened last week.

I second Science City and the Zoo.

We also like Fritz's.

Also, the Truman Library and Museum has the White House in Minerature exhibit going on.

The ***** League Baseball Hall of Fame is here as well as the Kansas City Jazz Museum on 18th and Vine, the famous historic Jazz district.

Shawnee Mission is having a 150th anniversary celebration August 5th (I'll be there.
)

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Is the shawnee thing at Old Shawnee town? I saw part of a blurb about it, but the rest of the article was covered in paint, so I couldn't figure that out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Sara,

We went to Powell Gardens (a little outside of KC) a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. We had a picnic, visited the chapel, walked the grounds and my son enjoyed the trolley around the gardens. Here is the web site: http://www.powellgardens.org/

Have a great visit!

Val
ds (10/02) dd (7/05)
:

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for the ideas! I'm not sure what our schedule is, but I'm sure we'll have some free time. Hope it's not too hot/humid!

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
Powell Gardens is beautiful.

We have sporadic nasty hottness with a couple days of rain/cool in between.

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by monkaha
Is the shawnee thing at Old Shawnee town? I saw part of a blurb about it, but the rest of the article was covered in paint, so I couldn't figure that out.

I think so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts