Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I have to plan. DS has wheat and dairy issues. If he eats wheat he gets bloated and his bowls go on overdrive and he has these explosive poops 7-8 times a day, then a rash. The dairy just makes him stuffy and agrivates sleep apnea. If I don't have spelt bread or barley baked goods, and remember to pack them...then he starves. My mom doesn't understand why we don't just keep "trying" him on these things to see if there's a change.
Why would I want to put the poor baby through all that over and over again.

I pack him meals when he goes to the IL's, and when we're out. He's now at the age that he wants to be like everyone else. Last night I ordered pizza for the girls as a special treat. He wanted some so badly. He kept giving me the sadest eyes and pointing to the pizza. I said to the girls that it's most likely the last time because it's just not fair. We will have to make it at home from now on so I can make it out of spelt with no cheese on half.

It's a pain, but it has to be done.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Quote:
This summer we're going to a family reunion for 5 days
We have a 3 day one and then we're going camping with another family for a week. I don't mind doing extra cooking for the reunion. I will make a couple batches of fudgy barley brownies (which are to die for) and a bunch of barley muffins along with some home made spelt bread. In addition to some whole grain pasta/rice/quinoa salads without the mayo and hydronated oils (can't stand those mayo ladened maccaronni salads). My MIL has two large fridges and it's a pot luck kind of weekend anyway, so I won't look too weird or nourotic. :LOL

The camping trip is another story. We are staying in a small trailer with limited fridge space. This family is totally mainstream. They are our best friends but eat processed convienent food all the time. Meal replacement bars, protien bars/shakes, coffee in a can, pop tarts, chips, pop kraft "stuff". They suggested buying food together when we get there and just cook group meals. I have already started shopping for natural convienent foods like Annie's mac and cheese, natural canned soups, fruit spritzers (the natural alternative to pop for the kids), fruit and vegie bars, organic tortillas. I want the girls to have "camping" food, but a more natural alternative without all the crap. As for ds I am stocking up on wheat free fig newtons and cereal bars, spelt crackers and natural bean soups (his favorite meal). Of course I need enough for all 5 kids (our 3 and their 2) because that just wouldn't be fair. I don't mind though. We can go in together with the dinner meal, but I will be the one shopping for it. :LOL This is when I come accross as nuorotic.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.