Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I just planted a bougainvellia in front of my fence. I have a couple of ?'s I hope someone can answer. First off when I planted it I took it out of the container then loosened the roots all around the bottom. Later I looked in my garden book to see that they have very sensitive roots. Do you think it will still live? I was not gentle at all.

My 2nd ? is I live in no. california zone 9 I planted it next to a birch tree in the front of my house that faces north. So it will get shade but still a lot of light, the direct sun in the later afternnoon evening. Will that be enough for it to grow and bloom well?

3rd ? I have is what do I need to give it for support to grow? It's in front of my wood fence and eventually the corner or my house.

Thank you so much for the help, I love bougainvellia and really want to grow it here.
Take care, Katie

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I love bougainvellia too! I had several in my yard when we lived in Phoenix!
I'll do my best to answer your questions!
1 - yes, the roots are VERY VERY sensitive. To be honest if you were very rough with it the poor plant may go into shock and have a hard time recovering. The first one I ever planted I was rough with it, and it never really took off - it seemed the growth was always stunted. But who knows - yours might just do fine!

2 - How many hours of day does it get direct sun? I would say they probably need 6+ hours to thrive and produce the gorgeous leaf brackets. I think if they don't get enough sun the leaf brackets won't turn the pretty colors.

3 - You can probably provide any sort of support - a pretty trellis would be nice. But, if it's near your fence it will eventually just crawl up your fence.

Good luck! What color did you get?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Re: question #3 I would use a trellis or stakes or something to support it. For us, our fence was not enough. It's planted up against a nice tall fence, but it had no interest in the fence. It just sprawled out everywhere it could and choked our lavendar plant to death.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Bouganvillas like geranium food w/ a teaspoon of epsom salt.

I had some that grew huge in part shade, but didn't bloom as much as the ones that had a lot of sun.

Mine would sprawl out everywhere and not really grow on a trellis, but I used some string to kind of gather it up and then attached the string to the trellis.

I also grew a few plants form cuttings that did great!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I think I've done everything wrong
. So first if it evens grows because of the roots I freaked out it seems to get maybe an hour of direct sunlight in the shade. Bummer. I thought that spot got a lot more sun. So now I'm undecided if I should try and move it to a sunnier spot or leave it. I'm afraid if I move it I might put the roots into more shock. Would it be too much to plant it against my house? I wanted to grow it up the fence so it would spill over the other side but that spot seems to be too shady. Do you think a trellis against my house would hold it?
Thanks for the information everyone. I'll probably go get another one or try and grow one from a cutting.

MiaPia I got red, I forgot the name but its beautiful!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice good job you can also use humic acid for plant growth. Humic acid is a completely organic liquid fertilizer, and is therefore a sustainable long term farming method which improves the overall conditions of your land. Humic acid plant fertilizers improve the strength and resilience of your crops to pests and disease. Continue reading...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.