Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I plant garlic I bought at the grocery store or do I have to get special bulbs from a nursery? I have really been enjoying my garden and I am now excited to plant my fall crops!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm pretty sure you have to buy it from the nursery. I had some that spouted a while back and looked into it online. Apprently the grocery store garlic is often a hybrid and not raised to do any more than taste good and store well. It may grow but won't produce good bulbs to eat.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
well, in the spring, i put in some garlic from the grocery store, and now we're eating the results. seemed to work okay. the only reason i planted them was that they were sprouting away on their own, and i thought i'd try it to see what would happen. the experiment was a success

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
sweet. I couldn't believe how much the garlic at the nursery was!!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Stuff form the store is probably California Early or California Late. Works just fine. Plant away!!!

I do reccomend some of hte other varieties once you get going with garlic. I had two varieties. One kicked butt and the other....welll my garden is too wet for it. But I am still eating yummy garlic.

www.groworganic.com has some great varieties.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Is it time to plant garlic? We are a huge garlic consuming family, so I want to try also to plant garlic from the grocery store. Any other tips, where to plant (sun/shade), when to harvest. Do you plant the whole head or seperate the the cloves? I'm in CT do we wait till fall? Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.