Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you know about plastic food storage containers and plastic wrap? I have heard repeatedly that it is prefereable to use glass or ceramic food storage containers, but when I search online for info I usually find defenses of plastic wrap/tupperware style things.<br>
I understand that petrochemicals are involved, and maybe phthalates? Could someone please direct me to more info?<br>
And, do you use plastic food storage containers/plastic lunch boxes/plastic wrap?<br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I had a hard time finding much information for either side, but what I did find were few positives for using plastic because of pthalates. I think the biggest safety concern has to do with heating food in the plastic container (in the microwave, which has its own health concerns). Just to be safe, we switched to all glass storage, though we occasionally use plastic wrap and plastic storage bags.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
I've also heard that the problems are with heating, much less so with storage itself (and even in the case of heating, that unless Saran Wrap is actually touching the food, it's not really a problem). I still use tupperware and plastic baggies for storage, I just microwave in ceramic or glass bowls.

·
Registered
315 Posts
(from september 2005 issue of Mothering)<br><br>
Safer plastics are: #'s 2(hdpe), 4(ldpe) & 5(pp) - safe for multiple use<br><br>
Plastics to avoid are: #'s 1(pet or pete)(safe for single use), 3(v or pvc), 6(Polystyrene, ps, styrofoam) & 7(other, usually polycarbonate) - these leach various chemicals & not neccesarily only when heated<br><br>
See <a href="http://www.thegreenguide.com" target="_blank">www.thegreenguide.com</a><br><br>
HTH!

·
Registered
882 Posts
I tried to memorize which plastics were safe and which not. Still trying. But just from pure personal experience, I find those ziploc bags to totally cause my food to taste like plastic. I don't use ziplocs anymore. But I haven't had that experience with plastic wrap or tupper ware. I still use those, though I never heat anything in any plastic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts