Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
We started with a potty, and she showed little interest in it. She wanted to go on the "big potty". Fortunately, the potty we bought comes apart so the top can be used as a seat for the toilet. We ended up buying one of those little seats that attaches to the toilet permanently, and she usually uses the toilet, but lately has found some interest in the little potty too. It might be a good idea to try both, and she which one he likes better.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I read reviews on Amazon and babycenter and finally decided on the Baby Bjorn potty. There are some designs that were recommended for girls and not for boys (something about the splash guard.)<br><br>
FYI- I got DS his at 17m as well b/c of a similar interest. He used it with enthusiasm for 2 days, but now it just sits there :LOL I thought he was a potty genius at first, but the novelty has definitely worn off for him. I'm in no hurry to get him out of the diapers though, and am letting him take the lead.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
I hate clutter and I hate plastic and I hate extra cleaning. We bought the $10 rings for each toilet. YOu just place it right on top when it's time. Has a teeny splash guard for boys.<br><br>
Very easy. My 19 mos old has been using it for a couple of months.<br><br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Both of my older boys were afraid to use the big potty even with those ring insert things. Thier feet didn't reach the ground and even with me holding on to them they were afraid of falling. I just bought the most basic little potty I could find...and detatched the splash gaurd because it looks more dangerous than helpful!

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
I thought cleaning out the pot was disgusting (I'd rather change a diaper) and only used DD's actual little potty once. Now the seat is on the toilet and she uses it daily for poopin and peeing. I even carry a portable seat with me for shopping trips. She can go anywhere.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Considering that they're both pretty cheap, I'd say buy one of each and see which your child prefers. Talia preferred the ring for the big potty at first, because she could sit on the potty like Mommy. But, this was before she actually started catching herself in time and *getting* to the potty, this was still in a play stage. Now that she actually tryies to *go*, she prefers the little potty - partly, I think, because we can carry it around the house and keep it close enough, and she can sit right down instead of scrambling up or waiting for me to lift her.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
WE are just starting to use the potty (again!) this week. Ds definitely prefers the big toilet with dd's old pink disney ring that sits on it. He has a step stool in front to climb up, and 2 little wooden chairs on each side-one for assisting him in getting up safely and securely, and the other holds a little basket of books....a few are about potty training. Dd has one of them memorized.She is waaaay into getting him potty learned!!!<br><br>
mp

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=motheringhud-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fexec%2Fobidos%2Ftg%2Fdetail%2F-%2FB000056JGW%2Fqid%3D1086553635%2Fbr%3D1-1%2Fref%3Dbr_lf_ba_1%2F%2F104-6857049-2432767%3Fv%3Dglance%26s%3Dbaby%26n%3D542434" target="_blank">Here's one that's BOTH</a> . I like it because the ring has handles (GREAT for holding onto) and it's really cushy . . .since it has the lid, it looks like a "real" toilet. DD prefers just the ring, but this way you have an option!<br><br>
Also, we have the small B Bjorn, and it's just "too" small for even my petite toddler. The bigger one just didn't look comfy.

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
I agree with trying both. Kids have such distinct preferences. My dd liked the Baby Bjorn potty when she trained, but my ds hates the Bjorn potty and prefers the real potty with the Sesame Street padded ring (the set on one). I also take this with us in a duffy sack when we travel. This works really well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts